- •NaPi2b is expressed in malignant tissues with minimal expression in healthy tissues (85/85).
- •NaPi2b is a targetable biomarker with stable expression throughout disease course (72/85).
- •Archival tissue samples are sufficient to assess NaPi2b expression (68/85).
- •Robust diagnostic assays can be developed to reliably detect NaPi2b expression (80/85).
- •Early trials with NaPi2b antibody-drug conjugates in ovarian cancer are promising (83/85).
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Cancer Treatment Reviews
- Phosphate transporters of the SLC20 and SLC34 families.Mol Aspects Med. 2013; 34: 386-395
- The role of SLC34A2 in intestinal phosphate absorption and phosphate homeostasis.Pflugers Arch. 2019; 471: 165-173
- Targeted inactivation of Npt2 in mice leads to severe renal phosphate wasting, hypercalciuria, and skeletal abnormalities.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998; 95: 5372-5377
- SLC34A3 mutations in patients with hereditary hypophosphatemic rickets with hypercalciuria predict a key role for the sodium-phosphate cotransporter NaPi-IIc in maintaining phosphate homeostasis.Am J Hum Genet. 2006; 78: 179-192
- Expression of Na-P(i) cotransport in rat kidney: localization by RT-PCR and immunohistochemistry.Am J Physiol. 1994; 266: F767-F774
- Cloning and functional characterization of a sodium-dependent phosphate transporter expressed in human lung and small intestine.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999; 258: 578-582
- Characterization of a murine type II sodium-phosphate cotransporter expressed in mammalian small intestine.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998; 95: 14564-14569
- Tissue-specific mRNA expression profiles of human solute carrier transporter superfamilies.Drug Metab Pharmacokinet. 2008; 23: 22-44
- Molecular cloning, functional characterization, tissue distribution, and chromosomal localization of a human, small intestinal sodium-phosphate (Na+-Pi) transporter (SLC34A2).Genomics. 1999; 62: 281-284
- Sodium-phosphate cotransporter in human salivary glands: molecular evidence for the involvement of NPT2b in acinar phosphate secretion and ductal phosphate reabsorption.Arch Oral Biol. 2005; 50: 759-768
- Expression of type II Na-P(i) cotransporter in alveolar type II cells.Am J Physiol. 1999; 277: L868-L873
- Intestinal Npt2b plays a major role in phosphate absorption and homeostasis.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20: 2348-2358
- Modeling pulmonary alveolar microlithiasis by epithelial deletion of the Npt2b sodium phosphate cotransporter reveals putative biomarkers and strategies for treatment.Sci Transl Med. 2015; 7: 313ra181
- Targeted deletion of the type IIb Na(+)-dependent Pi-co-transporter, NaPi-IIb, results in early embryonic lethality.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009; 381: 482-486
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha impairs intestinal phosphate absorption in colitis.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2009; 296: G775-G781
- Mutations in SLC34A2 cause pulmonary alveolar microlithiasis and are possibly associated with testicular microlithiasis.Am J Hum Genet. 2006; 79: 650-656
- Mutations in the SLC34A2 gene are associated with pulmonary alveolar microlithiasis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007; 175: 263-268
- The dolaflexin-based antibody-drug conjugate XMT-1536 targets the solid tumor lineage antigen SLC34A2/NaPi2b.Mol Cancer Ther. 2021; 20: 896-905
- SLC34A2 as a novel marker for diagnosis and targeted therapy of breast cancer.Anticancer Res. 2010; 30: 4135-4140
- The study of phosphate transporter NAPI2B expression in different histological types of epithelial ovarian cancer.Exp Oncol. 2009; 31: 37-42
- Gene expression profile of papillary thyroid cancer: sources of variability and diagnostic implications.Cancer Res. 2005; 65: 1587-1597
- Preclinical development of an anti-NaPi2b (SLC34A2) antibody-drug conjugate as a therapeutic for non-small cell lung and ovarian cancers.Clin Cancer Res. 2015; 21: 5139-5150
- Mouse monoclonal antibodies to human epithelial differentiation antigens expressed on the surface of ovarian carcinoma ascites cells.Cancer Res. 1987; 47: 6741-6750
- High-resolution positron emission tomography of human ovarian cancer in nude rats using 124I-labeled monoclonal antibodies.Gynecol Oncol. 1993; 48: 61-67
- Biodistribution and intraoperative evaluation of radiolabeled monoclonal antibody MX35 in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 1993; 51: 61-66
- Monoclonal antibody MX35 detects the membrane transporter NaPi2b (SLC34A2) in human carcinomas.Cancer Immun. 2008; 8: 3
- Immunohistochemical evaluation of epithelial ovarian carcinomas identifies three different expression patterns of the MX35 antigen, NaPi2b.BMC Cancer. 2017; 17: 303
- Characterization of novel human ovarian cancer-specific transcripts (HOSTs) identified by serial analysis of gene expression.Oncogene. 2003; 22: 7225-7232
- Quantitative analysis of SLC34A2 expression in different types of ovarian tumors.Exp Oncol. 2011; 33: 94-98
- Phosphate dysregulation via the XPR1-KIDINS220 protein complex is a therapeutic vulnerability in ovarian cancer. Nat.Cancer. 2022;
- Knockdown of the sodium-dependent phosphate co-transporter 2b (NPT2b) suppresses lung tumorigenesis.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e77121
- High dietary inorganic phosphate increases lung tumorigenesis and alters Akt signaling.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009; 179: 59-68
- Characterization of inorganic phosphate transport in the triple-negative breast cancer cell line, MDA-MB-231.PLoS ONE. 2018; 13: e0191270
- Epigenetic remodeling regulates transcriptional changes between ovarian cancer and benign precursors. JCI.Insight. 2016; : 1
- Predicting master transcription factors from pan-cancer expression data.Sci Adv. 2021; 7: eabf6123
- The transcription factor PAX8 promotes angiogenesis in ovarian cancer through interaction with SOX17.Sci Signal. 2022; 15: eabm2496
National Cancer Institute. Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program. Cancer Stat Facts: Ovarian Cancer. https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/ovary.html. Accessed July 14, 2022.
- Cancer statistics, 2022.CA Cancer J Clin. 2022; 72: 7-33
- Global cancer statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 209-249
- Biomarkers and algorithms for diagnosis of ovarian cancer: CA125, HE4, RMI and ROMA, a review.J Ovarian Res. 2019; 12: 28
- Epithelial ovarian cancer: evolution of management in the era of precision medicine.CA Cancer J Clin. 2019; 69: 280-304
- Treatment options in recurrent ovarian cancer: latest evidence and clinical potential.Ther Adv Med Oncol. 2014; 6: 229-239
- Antibody-drug conjugates: a promising novel therapy for the treatment of ovarian cancer.Cancers (Basel). 2020; : 12
- Management of platinum-resistant, relapsed epithelial ovarian cancer and new drug perspectives.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 2437-2448
- ESMO recommendations on predictive biomarker testing for homologous recombination deficiency and PARP inhibitor benefit in ovarian cancer.Ann Oncol. 2020; 31: 1606-1622
- The forefront of ovarian cancer therapy: update on PARP inhibitors.Ann Oncol. 2020; 31: 1148-1159
- Ovarian cancer: biomarkers and targeted therapy.Biomedicines. 2021; : 9
- PARP inhibitors in the management of ovarian cancer: ASCO guideline.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 3468-3493
- Lurbinectedin versus pegylated liposomal doxorubicin or topotecan in patients with platinum-resistant ovarian cancer: a multicenter, randomized, controlled, open-label phase 3 study (CORAIL).Gynecol Oncol. 2021; 163: 237-245
- Ovarian cancer relapse: from the latest scientific evidence to the best practice.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2019; 140: 28-38
- Phase III, randomized trial of mirvetuximab soravtansine versus chemotherapy in patients with platinum-resistant ovarian cancer: primary analysis of FORWARD I.Ann Oncol. 2021; 32: 757-765
- Avelumab alone or in combination with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone in platinum-resistant or platinum-refractory ovarian cancer (JAVELIN Ovarian 200): an open-label, three-arm, randomised, phase 3 study.Lancet Oncol. 2021; 22: 1034-1046
- Bevacizumab combined with chemotherapy for platinum-resistant recurrent ovarian cancer: the AURELIA open-label randomized phase III trial.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 1302-1308
Bevacizumab [package insert]. South San Francisco, CA: Genentech Inc. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/125085s0169lbl.pdf. May, 2009.
- New predictive biomarkers for ovarian cancer.Diagnostics (Basel). 2021; : 11
- Emerging molecular alterations leading to histology-specific targeted therapies in ovarian cancer beyond PARP inhibitors.Cancer Treat Rev. 2021; 101102298
- Abstracts: Pathobiology and Emerging Techniques (1145–1171).Modern Pathol. 2022; 2022: 1259
- Distribution of radiolabeled monoclonal antibody MX35 F(ab')2 in tissue samples by storage phosphor screen image analysis: evaluation of antibody localization to micrometastatic disease in epithelial ovarian cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 1997; 3: 1433-1442
- Rebmab200, a humanized monoclonal antibody targeting the sodium phosphate transporter NaPi2b displays strong immune mediated cytotoxicity against cancer: a novel reagent for targeted antibody therapy of cancer.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e70332
Drapkin R, Jung E, Bradshaw C, DeMars L, Mosher R. Evaluation of NaPi2b expression in a well-annotated longitudinal tissue series of ovarian serous carcinomas. International Gynecologic Cancer Society (IGCS) Annual Meeting. 2022.
- Comparison of NaPi2b expression from paired tissue samples in a clinical study of upifitamab rilsodotin (UpRi; XMT-1536) supports a strategy of testing in archival material.Int Gynecol Cancer Soc (IGCS) Annual Meeting. 2022;
- Safety and activity of mirvetuximab soravtansine (IMGN853), a folate receptor alpha-targeting antibody-drug conjugate, in platinum-resistant ovarian, fallopian Tube, or primary peritoneal cancer: A phase I expansion study.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 1112-1118
- FORWARD I (GOG 3011): A phase III study of mirvetuximab soravtansine, a folate receptor alpha (FRa)-targeting antibody-drug conjugate (ADC), versus chemotherapy in patients (pts) with platinum-resistant ovarian cancer (PROC).Ann Oncol. 2019; 30 (Oral presentation (abstract 992O))
- MIRASOL (GOG 3045/ENGOT OV-55): A randomized, open-label, phase III study of mirvetuximab soravtansine versus investigator’s choice of chemotherapy in advanced high-grade epithelial ovarian, primary peritoneal, or fallopian tube cancers with high folate-alpha (FRα) expression.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38 (abstract TPS6103)
- Guidance for laboratories performing molecular pathology for cancer patients.J Clin Pathol. 2014; 67: 923-931
- PD-L1 immunostaining: what pathologists need to know.Diagn Pathol. 2021; 16: 94
- Applying the new guidelines of HER2 testing in breast cancer.Curr Oncol Rep. 2020; 22: 51
- A “quickscore” method for immunohistochemical semiquantitation: validation for oestrogen receptor in breast carcinomas.J Clin Pathol. 1995; 48: 876-878
- Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in breast cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists Clinical Practice guideline focused update.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 2105-2122
- An insight into FDA approved antibody-drug conjugates for cancer therapy.Molecules. 2021; 26
- Anti-NaPi2b antibody-drug conjugate lifastuzumab vedotin (DNIB0600A) compared with pegylated liposomal doxorubicin in patients with platinum-resistant ovarian cancer in a randomized, open-label, phase II study.Ann Oncol. 2018; 29: 917-923
- Phase Ia study of anti-NaPi2b antibody-drug conjugate lifastuzumab vedotin DNIB0600A in patients with non-small cell lung cancer and platinum-resistant ovarian cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2020; 26: 364-372
- Phase 1b study of anti-NaPi2b antibody-drug conjugate lifastuzumab vedotin (DNIB0600A) in patients with platinum-sensitive recurrent ovarian cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2020; 158: 631-639
- Relationship of NaPi2b expression and efficacy of XMT-1536, a NaPi2b targeting antibody-drug conjugate (ADC), in an unselected panel of human primary ovarian mouse xenograft models.Mol Cancer Ther. 2018; 17
- Safety and efficacy of XMT-1536 in ovarian cancer: a subgroup analysis from the phase I expansion study of XMT-1536, a NaPi2b antibody-drug conjugate.Ann Oncol. 2020; 31: S627-S628
- Updated results from the phase 1b expansion study of upifitamab rilsodotin (UpRi; MT-1536), a NaPi2b-directed dolaflexin antibody drug conjugate (ADC) in ovarian cancer. Society of Gynecologic Oncology (SGO) Annual Meeting on Women’s.Cancer. 2022;
- Phase 1 dose escalation study of XMT-1536, a novel NaPi2b-targeting antibody-drug conjugate (ADC), in patients (pts) with solid tumors likely to express NaPi2b.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37
NCT03319628. First-in-human study of XMT-1536 in cancers likely to express NaPi2b. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/record/NCT0331962. Accessed July 14, 2022.
Richardson DL, Perez Fidalgo JA, Gonzalez-Martin A, Oaknin A, Hamilton E, Hays JL, et al. UPLIFT (ENGOT-ov67/GOG-3048): A Pivotal Cohort of the XMT-1536-1 Trial of Upifitamab Rilsodotin (XMT-1536; UpRi), a NaPi2b-directed Antibody-Drug Conjugate (ADC), in Platinum-Resistant Ovarian Cancer. Presented at the International Gynecologic Cancer Society, New York. . 2022.
NCT04907968. Study of upifitamab rilsodotin in combination with other agent(s) in participants with high-grade serous ovarian cancer (UPGRADE). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/record/NCT0490796. Accessed July 14, 2022.
Hays JL, Werner TL, Lakhani N, Edenfield J, Friedman C, Taylor SE, et al. UPGRADE: Phase 1 Combination Trial of the NaPi2b-directed Antibody-Drug Conjugate (ADC) Upifitamab Rilsodotin (UpRi; XMT-1536) in Patients With Ovarian Cancer. Presented at the International Gynecologic Cancer Society, New York. 2022.
NCT05329545. Upifitamab rilsodotin maintenance in platinum-sensitive recurrent ovarian cancer (UP-NEXT). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/record/NCT05329545. Accessed July 14, 2022.
Richardson DL, Philip H, O’Malley DM, Gonzalez-Martin A, Herzog TJ, Rogalski C, et al. UP-NEXT (GOG-3049/ENGOT-ov71-NSGO-CTU): A Study of Upifitamab Rilsodotin (UpRi), a NaPi2b-directed Antibody-Drug Conjugate (ADC) in Platinum-Sensitive Recurrent Ovarian Cancer. Presented at the International Gynecologic Cancer Society, New York. 2022.