- •HPV-related cancers are an important cause of morbidity and mortality.
- •The five licensed HPV vaccines might lead to the elimination of these malignancies.
- •WHO has launched a global strategy aiming at vaccinating 90% of young girls by 2030.
- •To achieve this goal, optimization of vaccination programs worldwide is needed.
- •Increase financial support and awareness are also essential to improve the coverage.
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Cancer Treatment Reviews
Araldi RP, Sant’Ana TA, Módolo DG, De Melo TC, Spadacci-Morena DD, De Cassia Stocco R, et al. The human papillomavirus (HPV)-related cancer biology: an overview. Biomed Pharmacother 2018;106:1537–56.
- HPV vaccination and cancer prevention.Best Practice Res Clin Obstetrics Gynaecol. 2020; 65: 109-124
Cancer IAfRo. Biological agents. International Agency for Research on Cancer 150 cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans 20122012.
- Human papillomavirus vaccine against cervical cancer: Opportunity and challenge.Cancer Lett. 2020; 471: 88-102
- Role of Rb-dependent and Rb-independent functions of papillomavirus E7 oncogene in head and neck cancer.Cancer Res. 2007; 67: 11585-11593
- Dominant role of HPV16 E7 in anal carcinogenesis.Virology. 2011; 421: 114-118
- Global cancer statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 209-249
- HPV infection, anal intra-epithelial neoplasia (AIN) and anal cancer: current issues.BMC Cancer. 2012; 12: 398
- Anal cancer and precancerous lesions: a call for improvement.Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 6: 327-334
SEER.cancer.gov. Available from: https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/corp.html.
Deutsch F, Regina Bullen I, Nguyen K, Elliott M, Tran N. Current state of play for HPV-positive oropharyngeal cancers. Cancer treatment reviews: Cancer treatment reviews; 2022. p.102439.
- Biological and clinical aspects of HPV-related cancers.Cancer Biol Med. 2020; 17: 864-878
- Penile cancer.Nat Rev Disease Primers. 2021; 7: 1
- Human papillomavirus and cervical cancer.Lancet. 2013; 382: 889-899
- Persistent human papillomavirus infection and cervical neoplasia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Epidemiol. 2008; 168: 123-137
- Seroconversion following anal and genital HPV infection in men.Papillomavirus Res. 2015; 1: 109-115
- A 12-year follow-up on the long-term effectiveness of the quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine in 4 nordic countries.Clin. Infect. Dis. 2018; 66: 339-345
- Efficacy, safety, and immunogenicity of the human papillomavirus 16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccine in women older than 25 years: 7-year follow-up of the phase 3, double-blind, randomised controlled VIVIANE study.Lancet Infect. Dis. 2016; 16: 1154-1168
- Sustained efficacy and immunogenicity of the human papillomavirus (HPV)-16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccine: analysis of a randomised placebo-controlled trial up to 6.4 years.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1975-1985
- Efficacy, safety, and immunogenicity of an Escherichia coli-produced bivalent human papillomavirus vaccine: an interim analysis of a randomized clinical trial.JNCI: J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2020; 112: 145-153
Available from: https://en.walvax.com/products/products-list; 2022.
- Overall efficacy of HPV-16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccine against grade 3 or greater cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: 4-year end-of-study analysis of the randomised, double-blind PATRICIA trial.Lancet Oncol. 2012; 13: 89-99
- A 9-valent HPV vaccine against Infection and Intraepithelial Neoplasia in Women.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 711-723
- Efficacy of quadrivalent HPV vaccine against HPV infection and disease in males.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 401-411
- HPV vaccine against anal HPV infection and anal intraepithelial neoplasia.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 1576-1585
- Impact of human papillomavirus (HPV)-6/11/16/18 vaccine on all HPV-associated genital diseases in young women.JNCI: J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010; 102: 325-339
- Human papillomavirus vaccine efficacy against invasive, HPV-positive cancers: population-based follow-up of a cluster-randomised trial.BMJ Open. 2021; 11e050669
- HPV vaccination and the risk of invasive cervical cancer.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 1340-1348
Arbyn M, Xu L, Simoens C, Martin-Hirsch PP. Prophylactic vaccination against human papillomaviruses to prevent cervical cancer and its precursors. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2018;2020(3).
World Health Organization. 17 November 2020. Global strategy to accelerate the elimination of cervical cancer as a public health problem. Available from: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240014107.
- Vaccine efficacy against persistent human papillomavirus (HPV) 16/18 infection at 10 years after one, two, and three doses of quadrivalent HPV vaccine in girls in India: a multicentre, prospective, cohort study.Lancet Oncol. 2021; 22: 1518-1529
- Dose-related effectiveness of quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine against cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: a Danish nationwide cohort study.Clin Infect Dis. 2019;
Barnabas Ruanne V, Brown Elizabeth R, Onono Maricianah A, Bukusi Elizabeth A, Njoroge B, Winer Rachel L, et al. Efficacy of single-dose human papillomavirus vaccination among young African women. NEJM Evidence 2022;1(5):EVIDoa2100056.
- HPV vaccine cross-protection: Highlights on additional clinical benefit.Gynecol Oncol. 2013; 130: 642-651
- Cross-protective efficacy of two human papillomavirus vaccines: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Infect Dis. 2012; 12: 781-789
- Peak neutralizing and cross-neutralizing antibody levels to human papillomavirus types 6/16/18/31/33/45/52/58 induced by bivalent and quadrivalent HPV vaccines.npj Vaccines. 2020; 5
- Cervical cancer prevention and control in women living with human immunodeficiency virus.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 505-526
- Prevalence and distribution of human papillomavirus genotypes among women in Kinshasa, The Democratic Republic of the Congo.J Global Oncol. 2019; 5: 1-9
- Safety and immunogenicity of the HPV-16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccine in HIV-positive women in South Africa: a partially-blind randomised placebo-controlled study.Vaccine. 2013; 31: 5745-5753
- Safety and immunogenicity of a quadrivalent human papillomavirus (types 6, 11, 16, and 18) vaccine in HIV-infected children 7 to 12 years old.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010; 55: 197-204
- Safety and immunogenicity of the quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine in HIV-1-infected men.J Infect Dis. 2010; 202: 1246-1253
- Comparison of different human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine types and dose schedules for prevention of HPV-related disease in females and males.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019;
- Efficacy of a bivalent L1 virus-like particle vaccine in prevention of infection with human papillomavirus types 16 and 18 in young women: a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2004; 364: 1757-1765
- Efficacy of the human papillomavirus (HPV)-16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccine in women aged 15–25 years with and without serological evidence of previous exposure to HPV-16/18.Int J Cancer. 2012; 131: 106-116
- Efficacy of a prophylactic adjuvanted bivalent L1 virus-like-particle vaccine against infection with human papillomavirus types 16 and 18 in young women: an interim analysis of a phase III double-blind, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2007; 369: 2161-2170
- Efficacy of human papillomavirus (HPV)-16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccine against cervical infection and precancer caused by oncogenic HPV types (PATRICIA): final analysis of a double-blind, randomised study in young women.Lancet. 2009; 374: 301-314
- Vaccination protects against invasive HPV-associated cancers.Int J Cancer. 2018; 142: 2186-2187
- Efficacy, immunogenicity, and safety of a quadrivalent HPV vaccine in men: results of an open-label, long-term extension of a randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Infect Dis. 2021;
- Monitoring HPV vaccine impact on cervical disease: Status and future directions for the era of cervical cancer elimination.Prev Med. 2021; 144106363
- The effects of the national HPV vaccination programme in England, UK, on cervical cancer and grade 3 cervical intraepithelial neoplasia incidence: a register-based observational study.Lancet. 2021; 398: 2084-2092
- Impact and effectiveness of the quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine: a systematic review of 10 years of real-world experience.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 63: 519-527
- Population-level impact and herd effects following the introduction of human papillomavirus vaccination programmes: updated systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2019; 394: 497-509
- Real-world effectiveness of human papillomavirus vaccination against cervical cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2021; 113: 1329-1335
- Genital warts trends in Australian and overseas-born people in Australia: a cross-sectional trend analysis to measure progress towards control and elimination.Lancet Regional Health - Western Pacific. 2021; 16100251
- The impact of 10 years of human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination in Australia: what additional disease burden will a nonavalent vaccine prevent?.Eurosurveillance. 2018; 23
- Estimation of the overall burden of cancers, precancerous lesions, and genital warts attributable to 9-valent HPV vaccine types in women and men in Europe.Infectious Agents Cancer. 2017; 12
- Efficacy, effectiveness and safety of vaccination against human papillomavirus in males: a systematic review.BMC Med. 2018; 16
- Prevalence of human papillomavirus in young men who have sex with men after the implementation of gender-neutral HPV vaccination: a repeated cross-sectional study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2021; 21: 1448-1457
- Population trends and long-term outlook for oropharyngeal cancer.JAMA Otolaryngol-Head Neck Surgery. 2021;
Damgacioglu H, Sonawane K, Zhu Y, Li R, Balasubramanian BA, Lairson DR, et al. Oropharyngeal cancer incidence and mortality trends in all 50 states in the US, 2001-2017. JAMA Otolaryngol–Head Neck Surg. 2021.
- Effect of prophylactic human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination on oral HPV infections among young adults in the United States.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 262-267
- Reduced prevalence of oral human papillomavirus (HPV) 4 years after bivalent HPV vaccination in a randomized clinical trial in Costa Rica.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8e68329
- Projected association of human papillomavirus vaccination with oropharynx cancer incidence in the US, 2020–2045.JAMA Oncol. 2021; 7e212907
- Pregnancy outcomes after human papillomavirus vaccination in periconceptional period or during pregnancy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2020; 16: 581-589
- Comprehensive cervical cancer control: a guide to essential practice.2nd ed. World Health Organization, 2014
- HPV vaccination introduction worldwide and WHO and UNICEF estimates of national HPV immunization coverage 2010–2019.Prev Med. 2021; 144106399
- A world without cervical cancer is within our reach.Prev Med. 2021; 144106462
- Mortality impact of achieving WHO cervical cancer elimination targets: a comparative modelling analysis in 78 low-income and lower-middle-income countries.Lancet. 2020; 395: 591-603
- Impact of HPV vaccination and cervical screening on cervical cancer elimination: a comparative modelling analysis in 78 low-income and lower-middle-income countries.Lancet. 2020; 395: 575-590
- Human papillomavirus vaccination of boys and extended catch-up vaccination: effects on the resilience of programs.J Infect Dis. 2016; 213: 199-205
- Impact of gender-neutral or girls-only vaccination against human papillomavirus—results of a community-randomized clinical trial (I).Int J Cancer. 2018; 142: 949-958
Bogaards JA, Wallinga J, Brakenhoff RH, Meijer CJLM, Berkhof J. Direct benefit of vaccinating boys along with girls against oncogenic human papillomavirus: bayesian evidence synthesis. BMJ 2015;350(may12 7):h2016-h.
Available from: https://www.europeancancer.org/2-standard/112-recommendations-on-vaccination-a-four-step-plan-for-eliminating-hpv-cancers-in-europe#:∼:text=By%202025%2C%20all%20European%20country,place%20in%20all%20European%20countries.
WHO. Available from: https://cdn.who.int/media/docs/default-source/immunization/mi4a/who-hpv-vaccine-global-market-study-april-2022.pdf?sfvrsn=6acb4c98_1&download=true 2022.
- Optimal human papillomavirus vaccination strategies to prevent cervical cancer in low-income and middle-income countries in the context of limited resources: a mathematical modelling analysis.Lancet Infect Dis. 2021; 21: 1598-1610
recommendations Hv. 2021. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/hpv/hcp/recommendations.html.
- End-of-study safety, immunogenicity, and efficacy of quadrivalent HPV (types 6, 11, 16, 18) recombinant vaccine in adult women 24–45 years of age.Br J Cancer. 2011; 105: 28-37
- HPV-FASTER: broadening the scope for prevention of HPV-related cancer.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2016; 13: 119-132
- On surmounting the barriers to HPV vaccination: we can do better.Ann Med. 2018; 50: 209-225
- Status of HPV vaccine introduction and barriers to country uptake.Vaccine. 2018; 36: 4761-4767
Available from: https://www.gavi.org/types-support/vaccine-support/human-papillomavirus.
- Impact of human papillomavirus vaccination, Rwanda and Bhutan.Emerg Infect Dis. 2020; 27: 1-9
- Current status of human papillomavirus vaccination in India's cervical cancer prevention efforts.Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20: e637-e644
- Mode of HPV vaccination delivery and equity in vaccine uptake: a nationwide cohort study.Prev Med. 2019; 120: 26-33
- Human papillomavirus vaccination: the ESGO-EFC position paper of the European society of Gynaecologic Oncology and the European Federation for colposcopy.Eur J Cancer. 2019; 116: 21-26
- Literature review of HPV vaccine delivery strategies: Considerations for school- and non-school based immunization program.Vaccine. 2014; 32: 320-326
Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7035a1.htm#:∼:text=National%20Vaccination%20Coverage,%25%20and%2089.3%25%20. 2022.
- Provider communication about HPV vaccination: a systematic review.Hum Vaccines Immunother. 2016; 12: 1454-1468
- Effect of human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination on clinical indicators of sexual behaviour among adolescent girls: the Ontario Grade 8 HPV Vaccine Cohort Study.CMAJ. 2015; 187: E74-E81
- Mapping global trends in vaccine confidence and investigating barriers to vaccine uptake: a large-scale retrospective temporal modelling study.Lancet. 2020; 396: 898-908
- Achieving high uptake of human papillomavirus vaccination in Malaysia through school-based vaccination programme.BMC Public Health. 2018; 18
- The power of social media for HPV vaccination-not fake news!.Am Soc Clin Oncol Educational Book. 2019; 39: 75-78
- Celebrities and screening: a measurable impact on high-grade cervical neoplasia diagnosis from the ‘Jade Goody effect’ in the UK.Br J Cancer. 2013; 109: 1192-1197
- Discordance between human papillomavirus twitter images and disparities in human papillomavirus risk and disease in the United States: mixed-methods analysis.J Med Internet Res. 2018; 20e10244
- RG1-VLP and other L2-based, broad-spectrum HPV vaccine candidates.J Clin Med. 2021; 10: 1044
- RG2-VLP: a vaccine designed to broadly protect against anogenital and skin human papillomaviruses causing human cancer.J Virol. 2022; 96e0056622
Prem K, Choi YH, Bénard É, Burger EA, Hadley L, Laprise J-F, et al. Global impact and cost-effectiveness of one-dose versus two-dose human papillomavirus vaccination schedules: a comparative modelling analysis. 2021.
- Research priorities to increase vaccination coverage in Europe (EU joint action on vaccination).Vaccine. 2021; 39: 6539-6544
- Using Facebook to increase coverage of HPV vaccination among Danish girls: an assessment of a Danish social media campaign.Vaccine. 2020; 38: 4901-4908
- Promoting HPV vaccination on social media: interactive effects of threat, efficacy and social cues.Hum Vaccines Immunother. 2021; 17: 4442-4456
- Human papillomavirus vaccination after COVID-19.JNCI Cancer Spectrum. 2021; 5
- Getting human papillomavirus vaccination back on track: protecting our national investment in human papillomavirus vaccination in the COVID-19 era.J Adolesc Health. 2020; 67: 633-634
World Health Organization. 2021. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/fighting-infection-with-information.