- •Carcinomas of the oropharynx have increased in incidence with a rise in HPV16 infections.
- •Standard treatment for patients with oropharyngeal cancers does not differ based on HPV status.
- •An adequate de-escalation strategy has yet to be identified.
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Cancer Treatment Reviews
- Genomewide Study of Salivary MicroRNAs for Detection of Oral Cancer.J Dent Res. 2014; 93: 86S-93S
D. SK, Jacques F, Ahmedin J, Rengaswamy S, K. CA, Freddie B, Isabelle S. The global incidence of lip, oral cavity, and pharyngeal cancers by subsite in 2012. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians 2017;67:51-64.
- Human papillomavirus-related oropharyngeal cancer.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: 2386-2398
- HPV-Related Oropharyngeal Cancer and Biomarkers Based on Epigenetics and Microbiome Profile.Front Cell Dev Biol. 2020; 8625330
- Human Papillomavirus and Oropharyngeal Cancer.Dent Clin North Am. 2018; 62: 111-120
- Human papillomavirus-associated cancers: A growing global problem.Int J Appl Basic Med Res. 2016; 6: 84-89
- Survival outcomes by high-risk human papillomavirus status in nonoropharyngeal head and neck squamous cell carcinomas: A propensity-scored analysis of the National Cancer Data Base.Cancer. 2019; 125: 2782-2793
- Global burden of human papillomavirus-positive head and neck cancers.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 1282-1283
- Human Papillomaviruses.World Health Organisation. 2018; : 255-313
- Group WHOIAfRoCMW. A review of human carcinogens–Part B: biological agents.Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 321-322
- Incidence trends for human papillomavirus-related and -unrelated oral squamous cell carcinomas in the United States.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 612-619
- Global Cancer Statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN Estimates of Incidence and Mortality Worldwide for 36 Cancers in 185 Countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 209-249
- Global burden of cancers attributable to infections in 2012: a synthetic analysis.Lancet Glob Health. 2016; 4: e609-e616
- Human papillomavirus E6 and E7 oncoproteins as risk factors for tumorigenesis.Journal of Biosciences. 2009; 34: 113-123
- Natural history of oral HPV infection: Longitudinal analyses in prospective cohorts from Australia.Int J Cancer. 2021; 148: 1964-1972
Tumban E. A Current Update on Human Papillomavirus-Associated Head and Neck Cancers. Viruses 2019;11.
- Role of human papillomavirus in the etiology of head and neck cancer.Head Neck. 2007; 29: 64-70
- Global burden of cancer attributable to infections in 2018: a worldwide incidence analysis.Lancet Glob Health. 2020; 8: e180-e190
Centers for Disease C, Prevention. Human papillomavirus-associated cancers - United States, 2004-2008. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2012;61:258-61.
- A global epidemic increase of an HPV-induced tonsil and tongue base cancer - potential benefit from a pan-gender use of HPV vaccine.J Intern Med. 2020; 287: 134-152
- Case-control study of human papillomavirus and oropharyngeal cancer.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 1944-1956
- Human papillomavirus: its identity and controversial role in oral oncogenesis, premalignant and malignant lesions (review).Int J Oncol. 2007; 30: 813-823
- Human papillomavirus predicts outcome in oropharyngeal cancer in patients treated primarily with surgery or radiation therapy.Br J Cancer. 2010; 103: 1510-1517
Kreimer AR, Clifford GM, Boyle P, Franceschi S. Human papillomavirus types in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas worldwide: a systematic review. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2005;14:467-75.
Maxwell JH, Kumar B, Feng FY, Worden FP, Lee JS, Eisbruch A, Wolf GT, Prince ME, Moyer JS, Teknos TN, Chepeha DB, McHugh JB, Urba SG, Stoerker J, Walline HM, Kurnit DM, Cordell KG, Davis SJ, Ward PD, Bradford CR, Carey TE. Tobacco use in human papillomavirus-positive advanced oropharynx cancer patients related to increased risk of distant metastases and tumor recurrence. Clin Cancer Res 2010;16:1226-35.
- Meta-analysis of the impact of human papillomavirus (HPV) on cancer risk and overall survival in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas (HNSCC).Head Neck Oncol. 2010; 2: 15
- Cancer incidence and mortality patterns in Europe: Estimates for 40 countries and 25 major cancers in 2018.Eur J Cancer. 2018; 103: 356-387
- Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma of the lip: A population-based analysis.Laryngoscope. 2018; 128: 84-90
- Head and Neck Cancer: A Review of the Impact of Treatment Delay on Outcome.Adv Ther. 2018; 35: 153-160
- Hpv impact on oropharyngeal cancer patients treated at the largest cancer center from Brazil.Cancer Lett. 2020; 477: 70-75
- Human Papillomavirus-Associated Cancers - United States, 2008–2012.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 661-666
- Smoking, human papillomavirus infection, and p53 mutation as risk factors in oropharyngeal cancer: a case-control study.Hong Kong Med J. 2017; 23: 12-16
- Prevalence of Human Papilloma Virus Sub Genotypes following Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinomas in Asian Continent, A Systematic Review Article.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2019; 20: 3269-3277
- The incidence, clearance and persistence of non-cervical human papillomavirus infections: a systematic review of the literature.BMC Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 293
- Cancer burden in Latin America and the Caribbean.Ann Glob Health. 2014; 80: 370-377
- Cervical cancer burden in Latin America and the Caribbean: Where are we?.Int J Cancer. 2020; 147: 1638-1648
- The emerging risk of oropharyngeal and oral cavity cancer in HPV-related subsites in young people in Brazil.PLoS One. 2020; 15: e0232871
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) 16 and the prognosis of head and neck cancer in a geographical region with a low prevalence of HPV infection.Cancer Causes Control. 2014; 25: 461-471
- A review of the 8th edition of the AJCC staging system for oropharyngeal cancer according to HPV status.Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2020; 277: 2407-2412
- Major Changes in Head and Neck Staging for 2018.Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2018; 38: 505-514
- Changes in the 8th Edition of the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) Staging of Head and Neck Cancer: Rationale and Implications.Curr Oncol Rep. 2019; 21
- Impact of late treatment-related toxicity on quality of life among patients with head and neck cancer treated with radiotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 3770-3776
Schache AG, Liloglou T, Risk JM, Filia A, Jones TM, Sheard J, Woolgar JA, Helliwell TR, Triantafyllou A, Robinson M, Sloan P, Harvey-Woodworth C, Sisson D, Shaw RJ. Evaluation of human papilloma virus diagnostic testing in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: sensitivity, specificity, and prognostic discrimination. Clin Cancer Res 2011;17:6262-71.
- Combined P16 and human papillomavirus testing predicts head and neck cancer survival.Int J Cancer. 2014; 135: 2404-2412
- p16 positive oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma:an entity with a favorable prognosis regardless of tumor HPV status.Am J Surg Pathol. 2010; 34: 1088-1096
- Diagnostic accuracy of p16(INK4a) immunohistochemistry in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Cancer. 2017; 140: 1186-1198
- Meta analysis: HPV and p16 pattern determines survival in patients with HNSCC and identifies potential new biologic subtype.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 16715
- Analysis of The Cancer Genome Atlas sequencing data reveals novel properties of the human papillomavirus 16 genome in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 17684-17699
- HPV detection methods in head and neck cancer.Head Neck Pathol. 2012; 6: S63-S74
- Human papillomavirus type 16 E6 and E7 oncoproteins act synergistically to cause head and neck cancer in mice.Virology. 2010; 407: 60-67
- Evaluating of HPV-DNA ISH as an adjunct to p16 testing in oropharyngeal cancer.Future Sci OA. 2020;6:FSO606.;
- A novel algorithm for reliable detection of human papillomavirus in paraffin embedded head and neck cancer specimen.Int J Cancer. 2007; 121: 2465-2472
- Evaluation of human papillomavirus testing for squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsil in clinical practice.J Clin Pathol. 2011; 64: 308-312
- Polymerase chain reaction detection of HPV in squamous carcinoma of the oropharynx.Am J Clin Pathol. 2010; 134: 36-41
- PreTect HPV-Proofer: real-time detection and typing of E6/E7 mRNA from carcinogenic human papillomaviruses.J Virol Methods. 2007; 142: 204-212
- Human papillomavirus and rising oropharyngeal cancer incidence in the United States.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 4294-4301
- SHERLOCK: nucleic acid detection with CRISPR nucleases.Nat Protoc. 2019; 14: 2986-3012
- Does HPV Subtype Predict Outcomes in Head and Neck Cancers?.Int J Otolaryngol. 2021; 2021: 1-11
- Primary surgery for human papillomavirus-associated oropharyngeal cancer: Survival outcomes with or without adjuvant treatment.Oral Oncol. 2018; 87: 170-176
- De-intensification for HPV positive oropharyngeal cancer: and yet it moves!: 2019 in review.Clin Transl Radiat Oncol. 2020; 22: 40-43
- Radiotherapy versus transoral robotic surgery and neck dissection for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (ORATOR): an open-label, phase 2, randomised trial.Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20: 1349-1359
- Deintensification of Adjuvant Treatment After Transoral Surgery in Patients With Human Papillomavirus-Positive Oropharyngeal Cancer: The Conception of the PATHOS Study and Its Development.Front Oncol. 2019; 9: 936
Economopoulou P, Kotsantis I, Psyrri A. Special Issue about Head and Neck Cancers: HPV Positive Cancers. Int J Mol Sci 2020;21.