- •Prior efforts to target the ErbB receptor family beyond HER2 have been inadequate.
- •Novel therapeutic approaches such as antibody-drug conjugates hold promise.
- •Better patient selection can improve the potential of these agents in breast cancer.
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Cancer Treatment Reviews
- The HER-2/neu Oncogene in Breast Cancer: Prognostic Factor, Predictive Factor, and Target for Therapy.Stem Cells. 1998; 16: 413-428
- The ErbB receptor family: a therapeutic target for cancer.Trends Mol Med. 2002; 8: S19-S26
- Specificity within the EGF family/ErbB receptor family signaling network.BioEssays. 1998; 20: 41-48
- ErbB receptors and signaling pathways in cancer.Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2009; 21: 177-184
- ErbB Receptors and Cancer.Methods Mol Biol. 2017; 1652: 3-35
- The ERBB network: at last, cancer therapy meets systems biology.Nat Rev Cancer. 2012; 12: 553-563
- Biology of HER2 and its importance in breast cancer.Oncology. 2001; 61: 1-13
- HER2-positive breast cancer.Lancet. 2017; 389: 2415-2429
- Characterization of the binding of 125-I-labeled epidermal growth factor to human fibroblasts.J Biol Chem. 1975; 250: 4297-4304
- The EGFR family and its ligands in human cancer. signalling mechanisms and therapeutic opportunities.Eur J Cancer. 2001; 37
- Targeting EGFR in Lung Cancer: Current Standards and Developments.Drugs. 2018; 78: 893-911
- Targeting EGFR pathway in metastatic colorectal cancer- tumour heterogeniety and convergent evolution.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2019; 143: 153-163
- EGFR-targeted therapies in the post-genomic era.Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2017; 36: 463-473
- Triple negative tumours: a critical review.Histopathology. 2008; 52: 108-118
- Role of epidermal growth factor receptor in breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012; 136: 331-345
- A perspective on anti-EGFR therapies targeting triple-negative breast cancer.Am J Cancer Res. 2016; 6: 1609-1623
- High EGFR gene copy number predicts poor outcome in triple-negative breast cancer.Mod Pathol. 2014; 27: 1212-1222
Maennling AE, et al. Molecular Targeting Therapy against EGFR Family in Breast Cancer: Progress and Future Potentials. Cancers (Basel), 2019; 11(12).
- A phase I study of cetuximab/paclitaxel in patients with advanced-stage breast cancer.Clinical Breast Cancer. 2006; 7: 270-277
- Randomized phase II study of the anti-epidermal growth factor receptor monoclonal antibody cetuximab with cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in patients with metastatic triple-negative breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 2586-2592
- TBCRC 001: randomized phase II study of cetuximab in combination with carboplatin in stage IV triple-negative breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 2615-2623
- N0436 (Alliance): A Phase II Trial of Irinotecan With Cetuximab in Patients With Metastatic Breast Cancer Previously Exposed to Anthracycline and/or Taxane-Containing Therapy.Clin Breast Cancer. 2016; 16: 23-30
- Efficacy and safety of erlotinib in patients with locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009; 115: 115-121
- Phase II and Tumor Pharmacodynamic Study of Gefitinib in Patients with Advanced Breast Cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 5323-5333
- A multicentre phase II study on gefitinib in taxane- and anthracycline-pretreated metastatic breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005; 89: 165-172
- A phase II trial to assess efficacy and safety of afatinib in extensively pretreated patients with HER2-negative metastatic breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012; 134: 1149-1159
- Triple-negative breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1938-1948
- Overall Survival with Osimertinib in Untreated, EGFR-Mutated Advanced NSCLC.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 41-50
- The Genomic Landscape of Endocrine-Resistant Advanced Breast Cancers.Cancer Cell. 2018; 34: 427-438 e6
- A Phase II Placebo-Controlled Trial of Neoadjuvant Anastrozole Alone or With Gefitinib in Early Breast Cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 3816-3822
Cristofanilli M, et al. Phase II, Randomized Trial to Compare Anastrozole Combined with Gefitinib or Placebo in Postmenopausal Women with Hormone Receptor–Positive Metastatic Breast Cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2010; 16(6): p. 1904.
Osborne CK, et al. Gefitinib or Placebo in Combination with Tamoxifen in Patients with Hormone Receptor–Positive Metastatic Breast Cancer: A Randomized Phase II Study. Clin Cancer Res 2011; 17(5): p. 1147.
- Unlocking the potential of antibody-drug conjugates for cancer therapy.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2021; 18: 327-344
- Trastuzumab emtansine for residual invasive HER2-positive breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 617-628
- Trastuzumab emtansine for HER2-positive advanced breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1783-1791
- Trastuzumab deruxtecan versus trastuzumab emtansine for breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2022; 386: 1143-1154
- Trastuzumab Deruxtecan in Previously Treated HER2-Low Advanced Breast Cancer.N Engl J Med. 2022; 387: 9-20
- Antibody–drug conjugates in glioblastoma therapy: the right drugs to the right cells.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2017; 14: 695-707
Lakhani N, et al. Abstract CT056: A Phase Ia/IIa trial of AVID100, an anti-EGFR antibody-drug conjugate. AACR; 2019.
- First-in-human dose-escalation study of anti-EGFR ADC MRG003 in patients with relapsed/refractory solid tumors..JCO. 2020; 38
- Antibody-Drug Conjugates Targeting the Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (HER) Family in Cancers.Front Mol Biosci. 2022; : 184
- Navitoclax enhances the effectiveness of EGFR-targeted antibody-drug conjugates in PDX models of EGFR-expressing triple-negative breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res. 2020; 22
- Anti-EGFR antibody-drug conjugate for triple-negative breast cancer therapy.Eng Life Sci. 2021; 21: 37-44
- The upgraded role of HER3 and HER4 receptors in breast cancer.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2010; 74: 73-78
- Cooperative signaling of ErbB3 and ErbB2 in neoplastic transformation and human mammary carcinomas.Oncogene. 1995; 10: 1813-1821
Gala K, Chandarlapaty S. Molecular pathways: HER3 targeted therapy. Clin Cancer Res 2014; 20(6): p. 1410-6.
Lee-Hoeflich ST, et al. A central role for HER3 in HER2-amplified breast cancer: implications for targeted therapy. Cancer Res 2008; 68(14): p. 5878-87.
- HER-3 Overexpression Is Prognostic of Reduced Breast Cancer Survival A Study of 4046 Patients.Ann Surg. 2010; 251: 1107-1116
- HER2-amplified breast cancer: mechanisms of trastuzumab resistance and novel targeted therapies.Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2011; 11: 263-275
- Role of HER3 expression and PTEN loss in patients with HER2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer (MBC) who received taxane plus trastuzumab treatment.Br J Cancer. 2014; 110: 384-391
- Pertuzumab: new hope for patients with HER2-positive breast cancer.Ann Oncol. 2013; 24: 273-282
- PI3K inhibition results in enhanced HER signaling and acquired ERK dependency in HER2-overexpressing breast cancer.Oncogene. 2011; 30: 2547-2557
- AKT inhibition relieves feedback suppression of receptor tyrosine kinase expression and activity.Cancer Cell. 2011; 19: 58-71
- Advances in Targeting HER3 as an Anticancer Therapy.Chemother Res Pract. 2012; 2012817304
- Oncogenic ERBB3 mutations in human cancers.Cancer Cell. 2013; 23: 603-617
- ERBB3 mutations in cancer: biological aspects, prevalence and therapeutics.Oncogene. 2020; 39: 487-502
- HER kinase inhibition in patients with HER2- and HER3-mutant cancers.Nature. 2018; 554: 189-194
- Development of Effective Therapeutics Targeting HER3 for Cancer Treatment.Biol Procedures. 2019; 21
Haikala HM, Jänne PA. Thirty Years of HER3: From Basic Biology to Therapeutic Interventions. Clin Cancer Res 2021.
Jhaveri K, et al. A Phase I study of alpelisib in combination with trastuzumab and LJM716 in patients with PIK3CA-mutated HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 2021.
Krop I, et al. Abstract PD1-09: Safety and efficacy results from the phase 1/2 study of U3-1402, a human epidermal growth factor receptor 3 (HER3)-directed antibody drug conjugate (ADC), in patients with HER3-expressing metastatic breast cancer (MBC). Cancer Res 2021; 81(4 Supplement): p. PD1-09.
- Results from the phase 1/2 study of patritumab deruxtecan, a HER3-directed antibody-drug conjugate (ADC), in patients with HER3-expressing metastatic breast cancer (MBC).JCO. 2022; 40
- LBA3 Patritumab deruxtecan (HER3-DXd) in early-stage HR+/HER2-breast cancer: Final results of the SOLTI TOT-HER3 window of opportunity trial.Ann Oncol. 2022; 33
- Unlocking the potential of antibody–drug conjugates for cancer therapy.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2021; 18: 327-344
- Antagonism of EGFR and HER3 enhances the response to inhibitors of the PI3K-Akt pathway in triple-negative breast cancer.Sci Signaling. 2014; 7
Hill AG, et al. Phase II Study of the Dual EGFR/HER3 Inhibitor Duligotuzumab (MEHD7945A) versus Cetuximab in Combination with FOLFIRI in Second-Line RAS Wild-Type Metastatic Colorectal Cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2018; 24(10): 2276–2284.
- A phase I/II study of MM-111, a novel bispecific antibody that targets the ErB2/ErB3 heterodimer, in combination with trastuzumab in advanced refractory HER2-positive breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29 (TPS119–TPS119)
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase II study of istiratumab (MM-141) plus nab-paclitaxel and gemcitabine versus nab-paclitaxel and gemcitabine in front-line metastatic pancreatic cancer (CARRIE).Ann Oncol. 2020; 31: 79-87
Schram AM, et al. Zenocutuzumab, a HER2xHER3 bispecific antibody, is effective therapy for tumors driven by NRG1 gene rearrangements. Cancer Discovery 2022.
- Ligand-specific activation of HER4/p180erbB4, a fourth member of the epidermal growth factor receptor family.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993; 90: 1746-1750
- Cytogenetic analysis of HER1/EGFR, HER2, HER3 and HER4 in 278 breast cancer patients.Breast Cancer Res. 2008; 10
- Presence of HER4 associates with increased sensitivity to Herceptin™ in patients with metastatic breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res. 2009; 11
- Her4 mediates ligand-dependent antiproliferative and differentiation responses in human breast cancer cells.Mol Cell Biol. 2001; 21: 4265-4275
- Nuclear HER4 mediates acquired resistance to trastuzumab and is associated with poor outcome in HER2 positive breast cancer.Oncotarget. 2014; 5: 5934-5949
- The localization of HER4 intracellular domain and expression of its alternately-spliced isoforms have prognostic significance in ER+ HER2-breast cancer.Oncotarget. 2014; 5: 3919-3930
- Target HER four in breast cancer?.Oncotarget. 2019; 10: 3147-3150
Zhu Y, et al. Coregulation of estrogen receptor by ERBB4/HER4 establishes a growth-promoting autocrine signal in breast tumor cells. Cancer Res 2006; 66(16): 7991–7998.
- Suppression of breast cancer cell growth by a monoclonal antibody targeting cleavable ErbB4 isoforms.Oncogene. 2009; 28: 1309-1319
- Development of an ErbB4 monoclonal antibody that blocks neuregulin-1-induced ErbB4 activation in cancer cells.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016; 470: 239-244
- Distribution and function of EGFR in human tissue and the effect of EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibition.Anticancer Res. 2003; 23: 3639-3650
- Expression of the HER-2/neu proto-oncogene in normal human adult and fetal tissues.Oncogene. 1990; 5: 953-962
- A monoclonal antibody to the human c-erbB3 protein stimulates the anchorage-independent growth of breast cancer cell lines.Br J Cancer. 1994; 70: 459-465
- Clinical efficacy and toxicity of anti-EGFR therapy in common cancers.J Oncol. 2009; 2009: 1-14
- Osimertinib and other third-generation EGFR TKI in EGFR-mutant NSCLC patients.Ann Oncol. 2018; 29
- Trastuzumab Deruxtecan in Previously Treated HER2-Positive Breast Cancer.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 610-621
- 166MO Datopotamab deruxtecan (Dato-DXd)+ durvalumab (D) as first-line (1L) treatment for unresectable locally advanced/metastatic triple-negative breast cancer (a/mTNBC): Initial results from BEGONIA, a phase Ib/II study.Ann Oncol. 2022; 33
Meric-Bernstam F, et al. TROPION-PanTumor01: Dose analysis of the TROP2-directed antibody-drug conjugate (ADC) datopotamab deruxtecan (Dato-DXd, DS-1062) for the treatment (Tx) of advanced or metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). 2021, Wolters Kluwer Health.
- TBCRC 001: randomized phase II study of cetuximab in combination with carboplatin in stage IV triple-negative breast cancer.J Clin Oncol: Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 2615-2623
- Multicentric neoadjuvant pilot Phase II study of cetuximab combined with docetaxel in operable triple negative breast cancer.Int J Cancer. 2016; 138: 2274-2280
- Panitumumab, Gemcitabine, and Carboplatin as Treatment for Women With Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer: A Sarah Cannon Research Institute Phase II Trial.Clin Breast Cancer. 2016; 16: 349-355
- Multicentric neoadjuvant phase II study of panitumumab combined with an anthracycline/taxane-based chemotherapy in operable triple-negative breast cancer: identification of biologically defined signatures predicting treatment impact.Ann Oncol. 2014; 25: 1570-1577
- Gefitinib treatment in hormone-resistant and hormone receptor-negative advanced breast cancer.Ann Oncol. 2009; 20: 1813-1817
- A European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre phase II trial of anastrozole in combination with gefitinib or placebo in hormone receptor-positive advanced breast cancer (NCT00066378).Eur J Cancer. 2016; 53: 144-154
- Gefitinib or placebo in combination with tamoxifen in patients with hormone receptor-positive metastatic breast cancer: a randomized phase II study.Clin Cancer Res: Off J Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2011; 17: 1147-1159
- Phase II, randomized trial of preoperative epirubicin-paclitaxel +/- gefitinib with biomarker evaluation in operable breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008; 110: 127-134
- Afatinib plus vinorelbine versus trastuzumab plus vinorelbine in patients with HER2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer who had progressed on one previous trastuzumab treatment (LUX-Breast 1): an open-label, randomised, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 357-366
- Pyrotinib plus capecitabine versus lapatinib plus capecitabine for the treatment of HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer (PHOEBE): a multicentre, open-label, randomised, controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2021; 22: 351-360
Meulendijks D, et al. First-in-Human Phase I Study of Lumretuzumab, a Glycoengineered Humanized Anti-HER3 Monoclonal Antibody, in Patients with Metastatic or Advanced HER3-Positive Solid Tumors. Clin Cancer Res 2016; 22(4): 877–885.
- Phase Ib study evaluating safety and clinical activity of the anti-HER3 antibody lumretuzumab combined with the anti-HER2 antibody pertuzumab and paclitaxel in HER3-positive, HER2-low metastatic breast cancer.Invest New Drugs. 2018; 36: 848-859