- •Head-to-head comparisons do not exist for the newest treatments of metastatic renal cell carcinoma.
- •In our network meta-analysis, lenvatinib plus pembrolizumab has the highest probability to be the best choice.
- •This analysis could be used to help physicians while awaiting formal comparisons.
- •Nevertheless, our results do not aim to produce formal recommendations. Prospective comparison trials are needed.
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Cancer Treatment Reviews
- Global Cancer Statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN Estimates of Incidence and Mortality Worldwide for 36 Cancers in 185 Countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 209-249https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21660
- Cancer statistics, 2022.CA Cancer J Clin. 2022; 72: 7-33https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21708
- Systemic Therapy for Metastatic Renal-Cell Carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 354-366https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1601333
- An Immune Atlas of Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma.Cell. 2017; 169: 736-749.e18https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2017.04.016
- Updated European Association of Urology Guidelines on Renal Cell Carcinoma: Nivolumab plus Cabozantinib Joins Immune Checkpoint Inhibition Combination Therapies for Treatment-naïve Metastatic Clear-Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma.Eur Urol. 2021; 79: 339-342https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2020.12.005
Powles T, [email protected] EGCommitteeE address: Recent eUpdate to the ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines on renal cell carcinoma on cabozantinib and nivolumab for first-line clear cell renal cancer: Renal cell carcinoma: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol 2021;32:422–3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annonc.2020.11.016.
- Systemic therapy for metastatic renal cell carcinoma in the first-line setting: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2021; 70: 265-273https://doi.org/10.1007/s00262-020-02684-8
- First-line Immunotherapy-based Combinations for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis.Eur Urol Oncol. 2021; 4: 755-765https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euo.2021.03.001
- Immune-based combinations for the treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials.Eur J Cancer. 2021; 154: 120-127https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2021.06.015
Apolo AB. Nivolumab plus cabozantinib (N+C) versus sunitinib (S) for advanced renal cell carcinoma (aRCC): Outcomes by baseline disease characteristics in the phase 3 CheckMate 9ER trial n.d.
Haanen JBAG. Efficacy of avelumab + axitinib (A + Ax) versus sunitinib (S) by IMDC risk group in advanced renal cell carcinoma (aRCC): Extended follow-up results from JAVELIN Renal 101 n.d.
Albiges L. Outcomes of patients who progressed while receiving avelumab + axitinib (A + Ax) and received subsequent treatment (Tx) in JAVELIN Renal 101 n.d.
Rini BI. Pembrolizumab (pembro) plus axitinib (axi) versus sunitinib as first-line therapy for advanced clear cell renal cell carcinoma (ccRCC): Results from 42-month follow-up of KEYNOTE-426 n.d.
- The PRISMA extension statement for reporting of systematic reviews incorporating network meta-analyses of health care interventions: checklist and explanations.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 777-784https://doi.org/10.7326/M14-2385
Higgins JP, Altman DG, Gøtzsche PC, Jüni P, Moher D, Oxman AD, et al. The Cochrane Collaboration’s tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials. BMJ 2011;343:d5928. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d5928.
- Network meta-analysis: application and practice using R software.Epidemiol Health. 2019; 41e2019013https://doi.org/10.4178/epih.e2019013
- Network meta-analysis on the log-hazard scale, combining count and hazard ratio statistics accounting for multi-arm trials: a tutorial.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2010; 10: 54https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-10-54
- Evaluation of networks of randomized trials.Stat Methods Med Res. 2008; 17: 279-301https://doi.org/10.1177/0962280207080643
- Atezolizumab plus bevacizumab versus sunitinib in patients with previously untreated metastatic renal cell carcinoma (IMmotion151): a multicentre, open-label, phase 3, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2019; 393: 2404-2415https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(19)30723-8
- Sarcomatoid renal cell carcinoma: biology, natural history and management.Nat Rev Urol. 2020; 17: 659-678https://doi.org/10.1038/s41585-020-00382-9
- Pembrolizumab plus Axitinib versus Sunitinib for Advanced Renal-Cell Carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1116-1127https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1816714
- Exploring the geometry of treatment networks.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 148: 544-553https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-148-7-200804010-00011
Higgins JPT WV (editors) Thomas J, Chandler J, Cumpston M, Li T, Page MJ. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions version 6.2 (updated February 2021). n.d.:Available from www.training.cochrane.org/handbook.
- Nivolumab plus Ipilimumab versus Sunitinib in Advanced Renal-Cell Carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 1277-1290https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1712126
- Nivolumab plus ipilimumab versus sunitinib for first-line treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma: extended 4-year follow-up of the phase III CheckMate 214 trial.ESMO Open. 2020; 5: e001079https://doi.org/10.1136/esmoopen-2020-001079
- Efficacy and Safety of Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab versus Sunitinib in First-line Treatment of Patients with Advanced Sarcomatoid Renal Cell Carcinoma.Clin Cancer Res. 2021; 27: 78-86https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-20-2063
- Atezolizumab plus Bevacizumab Versus Sunitinib for Patients with Untreated Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma and Sarcomatoid Features: A Prespecified Subgroup Analysis of the IMmotion151 Clinical Trial.Eur Urol. 2021; 79: 659-662https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2020.06.021
- Avelumab plus Axitinib versus Sunitinib for Advanced Renal-Cell Carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1103-1115https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1816047
- Efficacy and correlative analyses of avelumab plus axitinib versus sunitinib in sarcomatoid renal cell carcinoma: post hoc analysis of a randomized clinical trial.ESMO Open. 2021; 6: 100101https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esmoop.2021.100101
Rini BI, Plimack ER, Stus V, Gafanov R, Hawkins R, Nosov D, et al. Pembrolizumab (pembro) plus axitinib (axi) versus sunitinib as first-line therapy for metastatic renal cell carcinoma (mRCC): Outcomes in the combined IMDC intermediate/poor risk and sarcomatoid subgroups of the phase 3 KEYNOTE-426 study. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2019;37:4500–4500. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2019.37.15_suppl.4500.
Motzer RJ, Choueiri TK, Powles T, Burotto M, Bourlon MT, Hsieh JJ, et al. Nivolumab + cabozantinib (NIVO+CABO) versus sunitinib (SUN) for advanced renal cell carcinoma (aRCC): Outcomes by sarcomatoid histology and updated trial results with extended follow-up of CheckMate 9ER. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2021;39:308–308. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2021.39.6_suppl.308.
- Lenvatinib plus Pembrolizumab or Everolimus for Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 1289-1300https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa2035716