- •Detection of patients with cancer likely to respond to immunotherapy is crucial.
- •Tumor mutational burden (TMB) is an emerging prognostic and predictive biomarker.
- •Next generation sequencing provides TMB estimates in a more effective manner.
- •There are challenges to TMB adoption into standard clinical practice.
- •Validation of TMB alone or in combination models in prospective trials is warranted.
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Cancer Treatment Reviews
- Improved survival with ipilimumab in patients with metastatic melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 711-723https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1003466
- Nivolumab versus docetaxel in advanced nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1627-1639https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1507643
- Atezolizumab in patients with locally advanced and metastatic urothelial carcinoma who have progressed following treatment with platinum-based chemotherapy: a single-arm, multicenter, phase 2 trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 1909-1920https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)00561-4
- Nivolumab versus everolimus in advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1803-1813https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1510665
- Gut microbiome influences efficacy of PD-1-based immunotherapy against epithelial tumors.Science. 2018; 359: 91-97https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aan3706
- A reliable and feasible way to predict the benefits of ivolumab in patients with non-small cell lung cancer: a pooled analysis of 14 retrospective studies.Oncoimmunology. 2018; 7e1507262https://doi.org/10.1080/2162402X.2018.1507262
- Predictive biomarkers for checkpoint inhibitor-based immunotherapy.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: e542-e551https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(16)30406-5
- Immune-related adverse events associated with immune checkpoint blockade.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 158-168https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1703481
- Mismatch repair deficiency predicts response of solid tumors to PD-1 blockade.Science. 2017; 357: 409-413https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aan6733
- Pembrolizumab versus chemotherapy for PD-L1-positive non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1823-1833
- Pembrolizumab for patients with PD-L1-positive advanced gastric cancer (KEYNOTE-012): a multi-centre, open-label, phase 1b trial.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 717-726https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(16)00175-3
- Safety and efficacy of pembrolizumab monotherapy in patients with previously treated advanced gastric and gastroesophageal junction cancer: phase 2 Clinical KEYNOTE-059 Trial.JAMA Oncol. 2018; 4e180013https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2018.0013
- Pembrolizumab as second-line therapy for advanced urothelial carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1015-1026https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1613683
- Cancer immunotherapy trials not immune from imprecise selection of patients.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 2483-2485https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMe1705692
- Mechanism-driven biomarkers to guide immune checkpoint blockade in cancer therapy.Nat Rev Cancer. 2016; 16: 275-287https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc.2016.36
- The clinical utility of tumor mutational burden in non-small cell lung cancer.Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2018; 7: 639-646https://doi.org/10.21037/tlcr.2018.10.08
- Tumor mutation burden: leading immunotherapy to the era of precision medicine?.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 631-632https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2017.76.8770
- Tumor mutational burden and response rate to PD-1 inhibition.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 2500-2501https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc1713444
- Development of tumor mutation burden as an immunotherapy biomarker: utility for the oncology clinic.Annals of Oncol. 2019; 30: 44-56https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdy495
- Tissue-plasma TMB comparison and plasma TMB monitoring in patients with metastatic non-small cell lung cancer receiving immune checkpoint inhibitors.Front Oncol. 2020; 10: 142https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2020.00142
- Mutational landscape determines sensitivity to PD-1 blockade in non-small cell lung cancer.Science. 2015; 348: 124-128https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aaa1348
- Pan-tumor genomic biomarkers for personalization of PD-1 checkpoint blockade-based immunotherapy.Science. 2018; 362: eaar3593https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aar3593
- Targeted next generation sequencing identifies markers of response to PD-1 blockade.Cancer Immunol Res. 2016; 4: 959-967
- Development and validation of a clinical cancer genomic profiling test based on massively parallel DNA sequencing.Nat Biotechnol. 2013; 31: 1023-1031https://doi.org/10.1038/nbt.2696
US Food and Drug Administration. Summary of safety and effectiveness data (SSED): FoundationOne CDxTM. 2017. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf17/P170019B.pdf.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering-integrated mutation profiling of actionable cancer targets (MSK-IMPACT): a hybridization capture-based next-generation sequencing clinical assay for solid tumor molecular oncology.J Mol Diagn. 2015; 17: 251-264https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmoldx.2014.12.006
- Tumor mutational load predicts survival after immunotherapy across multiple cancer types.Nat Genet. 2019; 51: 202-206https://doi.org/10.1038/s41588-018-0312-8
Büttner R, Longshore JW, Lópes-Ríos F, Merkelbach-Bruse S, Normanno N, Rouleau E et al. Implementing TMB measurement in clinical practice: considerations on assay requirements. ESMO Open 2019;4:e000442. https://doi:10.1136/esmoopen-2018-000442.
- Impact of panel design and cut-off on tumour mutational burden assessment in metastatic solid tumour samples.Br J Cancer. 2020; 122: 953-956https://doi.org/10.1038/s41416-020-0762-5
- Biomarker testing and time to treatment decision in patients with advanced nonsmall-cell lung cancer.Ann Oncol. 2015; 26: 1415-1421https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdv208
- The correlations of tumor mutational burden among single-region tissue, multi-region tissues and blood in non-small cell lung cancer.J Immunother Cancer. 2019; 7: 98https://doi.org/10.1186/s40425-019-0581-5
- Blood-based tumor mutational burden as a predictor of clinical benefit in non-small-cell lung cancer patients treated with atezolizumab.Nat Med. 2018; 24: 1441-1448https://doi.org/10.1038/s41591-018-0134-3
- Baseline Plasma Tumor Mutation Burden Predicts Response to Pembrolizumab-based Therapy in Patients with Metastatic Non–Small Cell Lung Cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2020; 26: 2354-2361https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-19-3663
- Comprehensive molecular characterization of clinical responses to PD-1 inhibition in metastatic gastric cancer.Nat Med. 2018; 24: 1449-1458https://doi.org/10.1038/s41591-018-0101-z
- Noninvasive detection of microsatellite instability and high tumor mutation burden in cancer patients treated with PD-1 blockade.Clin Cancer Res. 2019; 25: 7024-7034https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-19-1372
- PD-1 blockade in tumors with mismatch-repair deficiency.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2509-2520https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1500596
- Prognostic versus predictive value of biomarkers in oncology.Eur J Cancer. 2008; 44: 946-953https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.03.006
- Prognostic impact of tumor mutation burden in patients with completely resected non-small cell lung cancer: brief report.J Thorac Oncol. 2018; 13: 1217-1221https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtho.2018.04.003
- High tumor mutation burden predicts better efficacy of immunotherapy: a pooled analysis of 103078 cancer patients.Oncoimmunology. 2019; 8e1629258https://doi.org/10.1080/2162402X.2019.1629258
- Tumor mutational and indel burden: a systematic pan-cancer evaluation as prognostic biomarkers.Ann Transl Med. 2019; 7: 640https://doi.org/10.21037/atm.2019.10.116
- Genetic basis for clinical response to CTLA-4 blockade in melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 2189-2199https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1406498
- Identifying a clinically applicable mutational burden threshold as a potential biomarker of response to immune checkpoint therapy in solid tumors. JCO Precis.Oncol. 2017; 2017https://doi.org/10.1200/PO.17.00146
- Targeted literature review on use of tumor mutational burden status and programmed cell death ligand 1 expression to predict outcomes of checkpoint inhibitor treatment.Diagn Pathol. 2020; 15: 6https://doi.org/10.1186/s13000-020-0927-9
- First-line nivolumab in stage IV or recurrent non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 2415-2426https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1613493
- Tumor mutational burden as an independent predictor of response to immunotherapy in diverse cancers.Mol Cancer Ther. 2017; 16: 2598-2608https://doi.org/10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-17-0386
- Molecular determinants of response to anti-programmed cell death (PD)-1 and anti-programmed death-ligand 1 (PD-L1) blockade in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer profiled with targeted next-generation sequencing.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 633-641https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2017.75.3384
- Nivolumab plus ipilimumab in lung cancer with a high tumor mutational burden.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2093-2104https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1801946
- Burden of tumor mutations, neoepitopes, and other variants are weak predictors of cancer immunotherapy response and overall survival.Genome Med. 2020; 12: 33https://doi.org/10.1186/s13073-020-00729-2
- MHC-II neoantigens shape tumour immunity and response to immunotherapy.Nature. 2019; 574: 696-701https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-019-1671-8
- Multimodal genomic features predict outcome of immune checkpoint blockade in non-small-cell lung cancer.Nature Cancer. 2020; 1: 99-111https://doi.org/10.1038/s43018-019-0008-8
- Quantifying potential confounders of panel-based tumor mutational burden (TMB) measurement.Lung Cancer. 2020; 142: 114-119https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2020.01.019
- Guidance for laboratories performing molecular pathology for cancer patients.J Clin Pathol. 2014; 67: 923-931https://doi.org/10.1136/jclinpath-2014-202404
- Analysis of 100,000 human cancer genomes reveals the landscape of tumor mutational burden.Genome Med. 2017; 9: 34https://doi.org/10.1186/s13073-017-0424-2
- Signatures of mutational processes in human cancer.Nature. 2013; 500: 415-421https://doi.org/10.1038/nature12477
- Prognostic and predictive impact of high tumor mutation burden (TMB) in solid tumors: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Oncol. 2019; 30: 5
- Tumour mutational burden: primary versus metastatic tissue creates systematic bias.Immuno-Oncology Technology. 2019; 4: 8-14https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iotech.2019.11.003
- Harmonization and standardization of panel-based tumor mutational burden (TMB) measurement: real-world results and recommendations of the QuIP study.J Thorac Oncol. 2020; S1556–0864: 30135https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtho.2020.01.023
- Size matters: dissecting key parameters for panel-based tumor mutational burden (TMB) analysis.Int J Cancer. 2019; 144: 848-858https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.31878
- Designing gene panels for tumor mutational burden estimation: the need to shift from “correlation” to “accuracy”.J Immunother Cancer. 2019; 7: 206https://doi.org/10.1186/s40425-019-0681-2
- Establishing guidelines to harmonize tumor mutational burden (TMB): in silico assessment of variation in TMB quantification across diagnostic platforms: phase I of the friends of cancer research TMB harmonization project.J Immunother Cancer. 2020; 8e000147https://doi.org/10.1136/jitc-2019-000147
- ecTMB: a robust method to estimate and classify tumor mutational burden.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 4983https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-61575-1
- Cancer Immunology. The ‘cancer immunogram’.Science. 2016; 352: 658-660https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aaf2834
- T-cell-inflamed gene-expression profile, programmed death ligand 1 expression, and tumor mutational burden predict efficacy in patients treated with pembrolizumab across 20 cancers: KEYNOTE-028.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 318-327https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2018.78.2276
Chowell D, Morris LGT, Grigg CM, Weber JK, Samstein RM, Makarov V et al. Patient HLA class I genotype infuences cancer response to checkpoint blockade immunotherapy. Science 2018;359:582–7. https://doi:10.1126/science.aao4572.
- Gut microbiome modulates response to anti-PD-1 immunotherapy in melanoma patients.Science. 2018; 359: 97-103https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aan4236