- •Metronomic chemotherapy (M-CT) for metastatic Breast Cancer (MBC) patients is dose dense administration of chemotherapy at lower doses than maximum tolerated dose, given at shorter free intervals, with proven effectiveness and lesser toxicity.
- •M-CT has multiple mechanisms of action in cancer cells including apoptosis, senescence, non-apoptotic cell death, immunogenic cell death, and antiangiogenic effects.
- •In view of its low toxicity, convenience of treatment at home, easiness of monitoring and follow-up via telemedicine, M-CT could be considered for treatment of MBC during COVID-19 pandemic.
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Cancer Treatment Reviews
- Metronomic low-dose oral cyclophosphamide and methotrexate plus or minus thalidomide in metastatic breast cancer: antitumor activity and biological effects.Ann Oncol. 2006; 17: 232-238
- Modes of resistance to anti-angiogenic therapy.Nat Rev Cancer. 2008; 8: 592-603
- The importance of dose intensity in chemotherapy of metastatic breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 1984; 2: 1281-1288
- Clinical overview of metronomic chemotherapy in breast cancer.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2015; 12: 631
- Nontoxic, Fiscally Responsible, Future of Oncology: Could it be Beginning in the Third World?.J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2011; 33: 1-3
- Metronomic Chemotherapy: Direct Targeting of Cancer Cells after all?.Trends in Cancer. 2017; 3: 319-325
- Effect of low doses of actinomycin D on neuroblastoma cell lines.Molecular Cancer. 2016; 15: 1
- Akt targeting as a strategy to boost chemotherapy efficacy in non-small cell lung cancer through metabolism suppression.Sci Rep. 2017; 7
- The differential effects of metronomic gemcitabine and antiangiogenic treatment in patient-derived xenografts of pancreatic cancer: treatment effects on metabolism, vascular function, cell proliferation, and tumor growth.Angiogenesis. 2016; 19: 229-244
- Heterogeneity of angiogenesis and blood vessel maturation in human tumors: implications for antiangiogenic tumor therapies.Cancer Res. 2000; 60: 1388-1393
- Redefining the target: chemotherapeutics as antiangiogenics.J Clin Oncol. 2001; 19: 1195-1206
- The anti-angiogenic basis of metronomic chemotherapy.Nat Rev Cancer. 2004; 4: 423
- The Antiangiogenic Property of Docetaxel Is Synergistic with a Recombinant Humanized Monoclonal Antibody against Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor or 2-Methoxyestradiol but Antagonized by Endothelial Growth Factors.Cancer Res. 2001; 61: 3369-3372
- A role for survivin in chemoresistance of endothelial cells mediated by VEGF.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2002; 99: 4349-4354
- Antiangiogenic Scheduling of Chemotherapy Improves Efficacy against Experimental Drug-resistant Cancer.Cancer Res. 2000; 60: 1878-1886
- Thrombospondin-1 Associated with Tumor Microenvironment Contributes to Low-Dose Cyclophosphamide-Mediated Endothelial Cell Apoptosis and Tumor Growth Suppression.Cancer Res. 2004; 64: 1570-1574
- Antiangiogenic Therapy of Established Tumors in Human Skin/Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Mouse Chimeras by Anti-Endoglin (CD105) Monoclonal Antibodies, and Synergy between Anti-Endoglin Antibody and Cyclophosphamide.Cancer Res. 2001; 61: 7846-7854
- Protracted Low-Dose Effects on Human Endothelial Cell Proliferation and Survival in Vitro Reveal a Selective Antiangiogenic Window for Various Chemotherapeutic Drugs.Cancer Res. 2002; 62: 6938-6943
- Inhibition of in vitro vascular endothelial cell proliferation and in vivo neovascularization by low-dose methotrexate.Arthritis Rheum. 1989; 32: 1065-1073
- Antiangiogenesis Is Produced by Nontoxic Doses of Vinblastine.Blood. 1999; 94: 4143-4155
- Paclitaxel at ultra low concentrations inhibits angiogenesis without affecting cellular microtubule assembly.Anticancer Drugs. 2003; 14: 13-19
- Thrombospondin 1, a mediator of the antiangiogenic effects of low-dose metronomic chemotherapy.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2003; 100: 12917-12922
- Functional analysis of highly defined, FACS-isolated populations of human regulatory CD4+CD25+ T cells.Clin Immunol. 2005; 117 (discussion 193): 192
- Regulatory T cells: key controllers of immunologic self-tolerance.Cell. 2000; 101: 455-458
- CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells suppress tumor immunity but are sensitive to cyclophosphamide which allows immunotherapy of established tumors to be curative.Eur J Immunol. 2004; 34: 336-344
- CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells inhibit natural killer cell functions in a transforming growth factor–β–dependent manner.J Exp Med. 2005; 202: 1075-1085
- The significance of Treg cells in defective tumor immunity.Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 2008; 56: 181-191
- Specific recruitment of regulatory T cells in ovarian carcinoma fosters immune privilege and predicts reduced survival.Nat Med. 2004; 10: 942-949
- CD4(+)CD25high regulatory T cells increase with tumor stage in patients with gastric and esophageal cancers.Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2006; 55: 1064-1071
- Immunomodulation of FOXP3<sup>+</sup> Regulatory T Cells by the Aromatase Inhibitor Letrozole in Breast Cancer Patients.Clin Cancer Res. 2009; 15: 1046-1051
- Metronomic chemotherapy: new rationale for new directions.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2010; 7: 455
- Classification of Chemotherapeutic Agents Based on Their Differential In vitro Effects on Dendritic Cells.Cancer Res. 2009; 69: 6978-6986
- Dual Therapeutic Efficacy of Vinblastine as a Unique Chemotherapeutic Agent Capable of Inducing Dendritic Cell Maturation.Cancer Res. 2009; 69: 6987-6994
Mariotto AB et al. Projections of the Cost of Cancer Care in the United States: 2010–2020. JNCI: J National Cancer Institute 2011;103(2):117–28.
- Has the time come for metronomics in low-income and middle-income countries?.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: e239-e248
- Low-dose oral methotrexate and cyclophosphamide in metastatic breast cancer: antitumor activity and correlation with vascular endothelial growth factor levels.Ann Oncol. 2002; 13: 73-80
- Efficacy and safety of low-dose metronomic chemotherapy with capecitabine in heavily pretreated patients with metastatic breast cancer.Eur J Cancer. 2012; 48: 24-29
- Study of Low-Dose Capecitabine Monotherapy for Metastatic Breast Cancer.Chemotherapy. 2010; 56: 166-170
- Metronomic Cyclophosphamide and Capecitabine Combined With Bevacizumab in Advanced Breast Cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 4899-4905
- Efficacy and Safety of the All-Oral Schedule of Metronomic Vinorelbine and Capecitabine in Locally Advanced or Metastatic Breast Cancer Patients: The Phase I-II VICTOR-1 Study.Int J Breast Cancer. 2014; 2014: 7
- Metronomic chemotherapy with oral vinorelbine (mVNR) and capecitabine (mCAPE) in advanced HER2-negative breast cancer patients: is it a way to optimize disease control? Final results of the VICTOR-2 study.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016; 160: 501-509
- Safety and efficacy study of metronomic vinorelbine, cyclophosphamide plus capecitabine in metastatic breast cancer: A phase II trial.Cancer Lett. 2017; 400: 276-281
- Metronomic chemotherapy for advanced breast cancer patients in the real world practice: Final results of the VICTOR-6 study.Breast. 2019; 48: 7-16
- Adjuvant continuous metronomic Adriamycin + cyclophosphamide followed by weekly nab-paclitaxel for high-risk early-stage breast cancer.Breast J. 2018; 24: 610-614
- The efficacy and toxicity profile of metronomic chemotherapy for metastatic breast cancer: A meta-analysis.PLoS ONE. 2017; 12e0173693
- Low-Dose Metronomic Oral Administration of Vinorelbine in the First-line Treatment of Elderly Patients With Metastatic Breast Cancer.Clin Breast Cancer. 2010; 10: 301-306
- On and off Metronomic Oral Vinorelbine in Elderly Women with Advanced Breast Cancer.Tumori J. 2015; 101: 30-35
- Metastatic breast cancer patients treated with low-dose metronomic chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide and celecoxib: clinical outcomes and biomarkers of response.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2016; 77: 365-374
- Pertuzumab and trastuzumab with or without metronomic chemotherapy for older patients with HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer (EORTC 75111–10114): an open-label, randomised, phase 2 trial from the Elderly Task Force/Breast Cancer Group.Lancet Oncol. 2018; 19: 323-336
- AGO Recommendations for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Patients with Advanced and Metastatic Breast Cancer: Update 2017.Breast Care. 2017; 12: 184-191
- 4th ESO–ESMO International Consensus Guidelines for Advanced Breast Cancer (ABC 4)†.Ann Oncol. 2018; 29: 1634-1657
Cardoso F, et al. 5th ESO-ESMO International Consensus Guidelines for Advanced Breast Cancer (ABC5). Annals Oncol 2020 [in Press].
- Cancer patients in SARS-CoV-2 infection: a nationwide analysis in China.Lancet Oncol. 2020; 21: 335-337https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(20)30096-6
Zhou F, Yu T, Du R, et al. Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30566-3. S0140-6736(20)30566-3 [published online ahead of print, 2020 Mar 11].
- ASCO Daily News. 2020;
- Presenting Characteristics, Comorbidities, and Outcomes Among 5700 Patients Hospitalized With COVID-19 in the New York City Area.JAMA. 2020; 323: 2052https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.6775
Cinar Pelin, et al. Safety at the Time of the COVID-19 Pandemic: How to Keep our Oncology Patients and Healthcare Workers Safe. JNCCN. Volume/Issue: Volume -1: Issue aop. Online Publication Date: 15 Apr 2020. https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2020.7572.
Cardoso F, et al. 5th ESO/ESMO International consensus guidelines for advanced breast cancer ABC5. November 2019, Lisbon Portugal [manuscript under preparation].
New Guidance Released for Oncology Community on Allocation of Limited Resources During COVID-19 Pandemic [news release]. Published April 9, 2020. asco.org/about-asco/press-center/news-releases/new-guidance-released-oncology-community-allocation-limited [accessed April 13, 2020].
Nagi El Saghir. Oncology Care and Education during the Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic. The ASCO Connection. March 11, 2020. https://connection.asco.org/blogs/oncology-care-and-education-during-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic.
Sioban Roberts. This is the Future of the Pandemic. The New York Times. May 8, 2020. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/health/coronavirus-pandemic-curve-scenarios.html.