- •Nivolumab and Pembrolizumab have been recently approved for advanced HNSCC.
- •PD-L1 correlates with improved efficacy to anti-PD-1 monoclonal antibodies.
- •Tumor mutational burden has been associated with immunotherapy (IO) response.
- •Interferon-γ signature has prognostic and predictive significance for response to IO.
- •Tumor microenvironment is a potential source for the identification of biomarkers.
- Burtness B.
- Harrington K.J.
- Greil R.
- Soulières D.
- Tahara M.
- de Castro G.
- et al.
Tumour related factors
- Burtness B.
- Harrington K.J.
- Greil R.
- Soulières D.
- Tahara M.
- de Castro G.
- et al.
- Ferris R.L.
- Blumenschein G.
- Fayette J.
- Guigay J.
- Colevas A.D.
- Licitra L.
- et al.
Tumour mutational burden/ neo-antigens
Interferon-γ gene signature
Inflamed - Non-Inflamed
The effect of tumour microenvironment in HNSCC
- Badoual Cecile
- Hans Stephane
- Fridman Wolf H.
- Brasnu Daniel
- Erdman Susan
- Tartour Eric
- Vermorken J.B.
- Psyrri A.
- Mesía R.
- Peyrade F.
- Beier F.
- de Blas B.
- et al.
Declaration of Competing Interest
- Oncology meets immunology: the cancer-immunity cycle.Immunity. 2013; 39: 1-10
- Clinical immunotherapeutic approaches for the treatment of head and neck cancer.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018;
- Pembrolizumab alone or with chemotherapy versus cetuximab with chemotherapy for recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (KEYNOTE-048): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 study.Lancet. 2019; 394: 1915-1928
- Safety and clinical activity of pembrolizumab for treatment of recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (KEYNOTE-012): an open-label, multicentre, phase 1b trial.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 956-965
- The society for immunotherapy of cancer consensus statement on immunotherapy for the treatment of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (HNSCC).J Immunother Cancer. 2019; 7: 184
- Engagement of the PD-1 immunoinhibitory receptor by a novel B7 family member leads to negative regulation of lymphocyte activation.J Exp Med. 2000; 192: 1027-1034
- Tumor-associated B7–H1 promotes T-cell apoptosis: a potential mechanism of immune evasion.Nat Med. 2002; 8: 793-800
- Targeting the PD-1/B7-H1(PD-L1) pathway to activate anti-tumor immunity.Curr Opin Immunol. 2012; 24: 207-212
- PD-1 blockade induces responses by inhibiting adaptive immune resistance.Nature. 2014; 515: 568-571
- Predictive correlates of response to the anti-PD-L1 antibody MPDL3280A in cancer patients.Nature. 2014; 515: 563-567
- Safety, activity, and immune correlates of anti-PD-1 antibody in cancer.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 2443-2454
- Safety and activity of anti-PD-L1 antibody in patients with advanced cancer.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 2455-2465
- Pembrolizumab versus methotrexate, docetaxel, or cetuximab for recurrent or metastatic head-and-neck squamous cell carcinoma (KEYNOTE-040): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 study.Lancet. 2019; 393: 156-167
- Nivolumab for recurrent squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1856-1867
- Pembrolizumab for platinum- and cetuximab-refractory head and neck cancer: results from a single-arm phase II study.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 1542-1549
- Efficacy and safety of pembrolizumab in recurrent/metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: pooled analyses after long-term follow-up in KEYNOTE-012.Br J Cancer. 2018; 119: 153-159
- Nivolumab vs investigator's choice in recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: 2-year long-term survival update of CheckMate 141 with analyses by tumor PD-L1 expression.Oral Oncol. 2018; 81: 45-51
- Intratumor heterogeneity of PD-L1 expression in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.Br J Cancer. 2019; 120: 1003-1006
M.J. Ratcliffe AS, M. Rebelatto, M. Scott, C. Barker, P. Scorer, J. Walker. A comparative study of PD-L1 diagnostic assays in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (SCCHN). Annals Oncol. 2016 27 (6): 328–350 101093/annonc/mdw376. 2016.
- Mining exomic sequencing data to identify mutated antigens recognized by adoptively transferred tumor-reactive T cells.Nat Med. 2013; 19: 747-752
- High-throughput epitope discovery reveals frequent recognition of neo-antigens by CD4+ T cells in human melanoma.Nat Med. 2015; 21: 81-85
- Neo-antigens predicted by tumor genome meta-analysis correlate with increased patient survival.Genome Res. 2014; 24: 743-750
- Neoantigens in cancer immunotherapy.Science. 2015; 348: 69-74
- Cancer immunology. Mutational landscape determines sensitivity to PD-1 blockade in non-small cell lung cancer.Science. 2015; 348: 124-128
- Genomic correlates of response to CTLA-4 blockade in metastatic melanoma.Science. 2015; 350: 207-211
- Genetic basis for clinical response to CTLA-4 blockade in melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 2189-2199
- Clonal neoantigens elicit T cell immunoreactivity and sensitivity to immune checkpoint blockade.Science. 2016; 351: 1463-1469
- Pan-tumor genomic biomarkers for PD-1 checkpoint blockade-based immunotherapy.Science. 2018; 362
- Frameshift events predict anti-PD-1/L1 response in head and neck cancer.JCI Insight. 2018; 3
- The clinical implications of antitumor immunity in head and neck cancer.Laryngoscope. 2012; 122: 144-157
- Innate immune sensing of cancer: clues from an identified role for type I IFNs.Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2012; 61: 1343-1347
- Molecular Pathways: targeting the stimulator of interferon genes (STING) in the immunotherapy of cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2015; 21: 4774-4779
- Innate immune recognition of cancer.Annu Rev Immunol. 2015; 33: 445-474
- STING-dependent cytosolic DNA sensing mediates innate immune recognition of immunogenic tumors.Immunity. 2014; 41: 830-842
- cGAS surveillance of micronuclei links genome instability to innate immunity.Nature. 2017; 548: 461-465
- IFN-γ-related mRNA profile predicts clinical response to PD-1 blockade.J Clin Invest. 2017; 127: 2930-2940
- Elements of cancer immunity and the cancer-immune set point.Nature. 2017; 541: 321-330
- Up-regulation of PD-L1, IDO, and T(regs) in the melanoma tumor microenvironment is driven by CD8(+) T cells.Sci Transl Med. 2013; 5: 200ra116
- CTLA4 methylation predicts response to anti-PD-1 and anti-CTLA-4 immunotherapy in melanoma patients.JCI Insight. 2018; 3
- Mechanism of tumor rejection with doublets of CTLA-4, PD-1/PD-L1, or IDO blockade involves restored IL-2 production and proliferation of CD8(+) T cells directly within the tumor microenvironment.J ImmunoTher Cancer. 2014; 2: 3
- The next hurdle in cancer immunotherapy: overcoming the non-T-cell-inflamed tumor microenvironment.Semin Oncol. 2015; 42: 663-671
- Impact of oncogenic pathways on evasion of antitumour immune responses.Nat Rev Cancer. 2018; 18: 139-147
- Understanding high endothelial venules: Lessons for cancer immunology.Oncoimmunology. 2015; 4e1008791
- Tertiary lymphoid structures in the era of cancer immunotherapy.Nat Rev Cancer. 2019; 19: 307-325
- Emerging opportunities and challenges in cancer immunotherapy.Clin Cancer Res. 2016; 22: 1845-1855
- Overcoming barriers to effective immunotherapy: MDSCs, TAMs, and Tregs as mediators of the immunosuppressive microenvironment in head and neck cancer.Oral Oncol. 2016; 58: 59-70
- Identification and validation of novel microenvironment-based immune molecular subgroups of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: implications for immunotherapy.Ann Oncol. 2018;
- The prognostic role of tumor infiltrating T-lymphocytes in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Oncoimmunology. 2017; 6e1356148
- Prognostic value of tumor-infiltrating CD4+ T-cell subpopulations in head and neck cancers.Clin Cancer Res. 2006; 12: 465-472
- Revisiting the prognostic value of regulatory T cells in patients with cancer.JCO. 2009; 27: e5-e6https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.23.0680
- The head and neck cancer immune landscape and its immunotherapeutic implications.JCI Insight. 2016; 1e89829
- Anti-PD-L1 efficacy can be enhanced by inhibition of myeloid-derived suppressor cells with a selective inhibitor of PI3Kδ/γ.Cancer Res. 2017; 77: 2607-2619
- IDO in the tumor microenvironment: inflammation, counter-regulation, and tolerance.Trends Immunol. 2016; 37: 193-207
- Indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase and tumor-induced tolerance.J Clin Invest. 2007; 117: 1147-1154
- Tumor-expressed IDO recruits and activates MDSCs in a treg-dependent manner.Cell Rep. 2015; 13: 412-424
- A new cancer immunotherapy suffers a setback.Science. 2018; 360: 588
- Indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase is a critical resistance mechanism in antitumor T cell immunotherapy targeting CTLA-4.J Exp Med. 2013; 210: 1389-1402
- Can IDO activity predict primary resistance to anti-PD-1 treatment in NSCLC?.J Transl Med. 2018; 16: 219
- Identification of a subpopulation of cells with cancer stem cell properties in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2007; 104: 973-978
- Immunoregulatory properties of CD44+ cancer stem-like cells in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.Head Neck. 2011; 33: 208-215
- CD44+ cells in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma suppress T-cell-mediated immunity by selective constitutive and inducible expression of PD-L1.Clin Cancer Res. 2016; 22: 3571-3581
- Head and neck squamous cell carcinomas are characterized by a stable immune signature within the primary tumor over time and space.Clin Cancer Res. 2017; 23: 7641-7649
- Evaluation of PD-L1 expression and associated tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes in laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma.Clin Cancer Res. 2016; 22: 704-713
- Morphomolecular analysis of the immune tumor microenvironment in human head and neck cancer.Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2019; 68: 1443-1454
- Defining an inflamed tumor immunophenotype in recurrent, metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.Oral Oncol. 2017; 67: 61-69
- Cell genomics and immunosuppressive biomarker expression influence PD-L1 immunotherapy treatment responses in HNSCC-a computational study.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2017; 124: 157-164
- The immune subtypes and landscape of squamous cell carcinoma.Clin Cancer Res. 2019; 25: 3528-3537
- Survival and human papillomavirus in oropharynx cancer in TAX 324: a subset analysis from an international phase III trial.Ann Oncol. 2011; 22: 1071-1077
- The influence of HPV-associated p16-expression on accelerated fractionated radiotherapy in head and neck cancer: evaluation of the randomised DAHANCA 6&7 trial.Radiother Oncol. 2011; 100: 49-55
- Impact of tumor HPV status on outcome in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck receiving chemotherapy with or without cetuximab: retrospective analysis of the phase III EXTREME trial.Ann Oncol. 2014; 25: 801-807
- Prognostic significance of human papillomavirus in recurrent or metastatic head and neck cancer: an analysis of eastern cooperative oncology group trials.Ann Oncol. 2014; 25: 1410-1416
- Human papillomavirus and overall survival after progression of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 3365-3373
- Distinct patterns of intratumoral immune cell infiltrates in patients with HPV-associated compared to non-virally induced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.Oncoimmunology. 2015; 4e965570
- Treatment-naïve HPV+ head and neck cancers display a T-cell-inflamed phenotype distinct from their HPV- counterparts that has implications for immunotherapy.Oncoimmunology. 2018; 7e1498439
- Gene expression analysis of TIL rich HPV-driven head and neck tumors reveals a distinct B-cell signature when compared to HPV independent tumors.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 56781-56797
- PD-1-expressing tumor-infiltrating T cells are a favorable prognostic biomarker in HPV-associated head and neck cancer.Cancer Res. 2013; 73: 128-138
- Human papilloma virus specific immunogenicity and dysfunction of CD8.Cancer Res. 2018; 78: 6159-6170
- Integrative and comparative genomic analysis of HPV-positive and HPV-negative head and neck squamous cell carcinomas.Clin Cancer Res. 2015; 21: 632-641
- Identification of APOBEC3B promoter elements responsible for activation by human papillomavirus type 16 E6.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015; 460: 555-560
- APOBEC3 genes: retroviral restriction factors to cancer drivers.Trends Mol Med. 2015; 21: 274-284
- Multi-modality analysis supports APOBEC as a major source of mutations in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.Oral Oncol. 2017; 74: 8-14
- APOBEC-induced mutations and their cancer effect size in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.Oncogene. 2019;
- Head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: Genomics and emerging biomarkers for immunomodulatory cancer treatments.Semin Cancer Biol. 2018; 52: 228-240
- Microbiota: a key orchestrator of cancer therapy.Nat Rev Cancer. 2017; 17: 271-285
- The microbiome in cancer immunotherapy: diagnostic tools and therapeutic strategies.Science. 2018; 359: 1366-1370
- The influence of the gut microbiome on cancer, immunity, and cancer immunotherapy.Cancer Cell. 2018; 33: 570-580
- Gut microbiome influences efficacy of PD-1-based immunotherapy against epithelial tumors.Science. 2018; 359: 91-97
- Gut microbiome modulates response to anti-PD-1 immunotherapy in melanoma patients.Science. 2018; 359: 97-103
- The commensal microbiome is associated with anti-PD-1 efficacy in metastatic melanoma patients.Science. 2018; 359: 104-108
- Microbial communities associated with primary and metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma – a high fusobacterial and low streptococcal signature.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 9934
- Drinking alcohol is associated with variation in the human oral microbiome in a large study of American adults.Microbiome. 2018; 6: 59
- Microbiota dysbiosis in select human cancers: evidence of association and causality.Semin Immunol. 2017; 32: 25-34
- Oral microbiota community dynamics associated with oral squamous cell carcinoma staging.Front Microbiol. 2018; 9: 862