- •Burnout in oncologists is a serious issue that can have significant personal and professional consequences.
- •Risk factors identified include early career stage, increased workload and poor work/life balance.
- •Individual-focused, organisational and mixed interventions have been introduced to reduce burnout.
- Mental health and occupational wellbeing of Australian gynaecologic oncologists.Gynaec Onco. 2010; 116: 526-532
- Doing something about burnout.Lancet. 2016; 288: 2216-2217
- Physician wellness: a missing quality indicator.w. 2009; 374: 1714-1721
- Staff burn-out.J Soc Issues. 1974; 30: 159-165
Maslach C, Jackson S, Leiter M. Maslach burnout inventory manual, 3rd ed. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press; 1996.
- Empathy fatigue: healing the mind, body, and spirit of professional counselors.Am J Psych Rehab. 2007; 10: 317-338
- Compassion fatigue: coping with secondary traumatic stress disorder in those who treat the traumatized.Brunner/Mazel, New York2005
- A framework for understanding moral distress among palliative care clinicians.J Palliat Med. 2013; 16: 1074-1079
Hlubocky F, Back A, Shanafelt T. Addressing burnout in oncology: why cancer care clinicians are at risk, what individuals can do, and how organizations can respond. In: ASCO educational book; 2016. p. 271–9.
- The measurement of experienced burnout.J Organ Behav. 1981; 2: 99-113
- Burnout among young European oncologists: a call for action.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: 1414-1415
- Resident burnout.JAMA. 2004; 292: 2880-2889
- Measuring resident well-being: impostorism and burnout syndrome in residency.JGIM. 2008; 23: 1090-1094
- Prevalence of Burnout syndrome in health professionals of an onco-hematological pediatric hospital.Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2015; 49: 251-258
Schaufeli W, Bakker A, Hoogduin K. On the clinical validity of the Maslach burnout inventory and the burnout measure. Psychol Health 2001;16:565–82.
- Cancer care workers in Ontario: prevalence of burnout, job stress, and job satisfaction.CMAJ. 2000; 163: 166-169
- Defining burnout as a dichotomous variable.J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24: 440
- Staying well and engaged when demands are high: the role of psychological detachment.J Appl Psychol. 2010; 95: 965-976
- Can a single question effectively screen for burnout in Australian cancer care workers?.BMC Health Serv Res. 2010; 10: 341
- Concurrent validity of single-item measures of emotional exhaustion and depersonalization in burnout assessment.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 1445-1452
- Single item measures of emotional exhaustion and depersonalization are useful for assessing burnout in medical professionals.J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24: 1318-1321
- Burnout and satisfaction with work-life balance among US physicians relative to the general US population.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1377-1385
- Prevalence of alcohol use disorders among American surgeons.Arch Surg. 2012; 147: 168-174
- Quality of life, burnout, educational debt, and medical knowledge among internal medicine residents.JAMA. 2011; 306: 952-960
Shanafelt T, Bradley K, Wipf J, Back A. Burnout and self-reported patient care in an internal medicine residency program. Ann Intern Med 2002;136:358–67.
- A career in surgical oncology: finding meaning, balance, and personal satisfaction.Ann Surg Oncol. 2007; 15: 400-406
Glasberg J, Horiuti L, Novais M, et al. Prevalence of the burnout syndrome among Brazilian medical oncologists. Rev Assoc Med Bras 2007. 2007;53(1):85–9.
- Changes in burnout and satisfaction with work-life balance in physicians and the general US working population between 2011 and 2014.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 1600-1613
- Burnout and career satisfaction among American surgeons.Ann Surg. 2009; 250: 463-471
- Oncologist burnout: causes, consequences and responses.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 1235-1241
- Burnout and career satisfaction among US oncologists.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 678-686
- Prevalence of oncologists in distress: systematic review and meta-analysis.Psychooncology. 2017; 26: 1732-1740
Trufelli D, Bensi C, Garcia J, et al. Burnout in cancer professionals: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2008;6:524–31.
- Professional burnout in European young oncologists: results of the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) young oncologists committee burnout survey.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: 1590-1596
- Burnout syndrome in the practice of oncology: results of a random survey of 1000 oncologists.J Clin Oncol. 1991; 9: 1916-1920
- Prevalence of burnout in the US oncology community: results of a 2003 survey.J Oncol Pract. 2005; 1: 140-147
- Prevalence and causes of burnout amongst oncology residents: a comprehensive nationwide cross-sectional study.Eur J Cancer. 2010; 46: 2708-2715
- Career burnout among pediatric oncologists.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2011; 57: 1168-1173
- Quality of life of surgical oncology residents and fellows across Europe.J Surg Educ. 2014; 71: 222-228
- Burnout and associated factors among members of the society of gynecologic oncology.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: e1-e9
- Oncology fellows' career plans, expectations and well-being: do fellows know what they are getting into?.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 31: 2991-2997
- Stress, satisfaction and burnout amongst Australian and New Zealand radiation oncologists.J Med Imag Radiat Oncol. 2015; 59: 115-124
- Evaluation of the prevalence of burnout and psychological morbidity among radiation oncologist members of the Kyoto Radiation Oncology Study Group (KROSG).J Radiat Res. 2017; 58: 217-224
- Association of perceived medical errors with resident distress and empathy: a prospective longitudinal study.JAMA. 2006; 296: 1071-1078
- Burnout and medical errors among American surgeons.Ann Surg. 2010; 251: 995-1000
- Rates of medication errors among depressed and burnt out residents: prospective cohort study.BMJ. 2008; 336: 488-491
- Longitudinal study evaluating the association between physician burnout and changes in professional work effort.Mayo Clin Proc. 2016; 91: 422-431
- Relationship between burnout and professional conduct and attitudes among US medical students.JAMA. 2010; 304: 1173-1180
- Physician and patient satisfaction as factors related to the organization of internal medicine group practices.Med Care. 1985; 23: 1171-1178
- Is the professional satisfaction of general internists associated with patient satisfaction?.J Gen Intern Med. 2000; 15: 122-128
- Managed care, physician job satisfaction, and the quality of primary care.J Gen Intern Med. 2005; 20: 271-277
- Satisfaction with work-life balance and the career and retirement plans of US oncologists.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 1127-1135
- Why do surgeons consider leaving practice?.J Am Coll Surg. 2011; 212: 421-422
- Future supply and demand for oncologists: challenges to assuring access to oncology services.J Oncol Pract. 2007; 3: 79-86
- Annual work hours across physician specialties.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 1211-1213
- Career fit and burnout among academic faculty.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 990-995
- The wellbeing of physicians.Am J Med. 2003; 114 (513-217)
- Job satisfaction, stress, and burnout among Canadian gynecologic oncologists.Gynecol Oncol. 2004; 94: 134-139
- Electronic medical records and physician stress in primary care: results from the MEMO Study.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2014; 21: e100-106
Kuerer H, Eberlein T, Pollock R. Career satisfaction, practice patterns and burnout among surgical oncologists: report on the quality of life of members of the Society of Surgical Oncology. Ann Surg Oncol. 2007;14:3043–53.
Kleiner S, Wallace J. Oncologist burnout and compassion fatigue: investigating time pressure at work as a predictor and the mediating role of work-family conflict. BMC Health Serv Res 2017;17(639).
- Burnout and psychiatric morbidity among physicians engaged in end-of-life care for cancer patients: a cross-sectional nationwide survey in Japan.Psychooncology. 2007; 16: 421-428
- Changes in career satisfaction among primary care and specialist physicians, 1997–2001.JAMA. 2003; 289: 442-449
- Allocation of physician time in ambulatory practice: a time and motion study in 4 specialities.Ann Intern Med. 2016; 165: 753-760
- Addressing physician burnout: the way forward.JAMA. 2017; 317: 901-902
- A national study of burnout among American transplant surgeons.Transplant Proc. 1995; 37: 1399-1401
Campbell DJ, Sonnad S, Eckhauser F, Campbell K, Greenfield L. Burnout among American surgeons. Surgery 2001;130:696–702 [discussion 702–695].
- Relationship between work-home conflicts and burnout among American surgeons: a comparison by sex.Arch Surg. 2011; 146: 211-217
- Work/home conflict and burnout among academic internal medicine physicians.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 1207-1209
- Risk of burnout in perioperative clinicians: a survey study and literature review.Anaesthesiology. 2011; 114: 194-204
- Burnout and psychiatric disorder among cancer clinicians.Br J Cancer. 1995; 71: 1263-1269
- What are the significant factors associated with burnout in doctors?.Occup Med (Lond). 2015; 65: 117-121
- Oncology fellows' career plans, expectations, and well-being: do fellows know what they are getting into?.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 2991-2997
- Which doctors and with what problems contact a specialist service for doctors? A cross sectional investigation.BMC Med. 2007; 5: 26
- Factors associated with the career choices of hematology and medical oncology fellows trained at academic institutions in the United States.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 3932-3938
Leiter M, Durup J. The discriminant validity of burnout and depression: a confirmatory factor analytic study. Anxiety Stress Coping 1994;7:357–73 [Harwood Academic Publishers].
- Mental health of hospital consultants: the effects of stress and satisfaction at work.Lancet. 1996; 347: 724-728
National Mental Health Survey of Doctors and Medical Students. Beyond Blue Doctors Mental Health Program. Melbourne (Roy Morgan Research); 2013.
- Mortality rates and causes among U.S. physicians.Am J Prev Med. 2000; 19: 155-159
- Confronting depression and suicide in physicians: a consensus statement.JAMA. 2003; 289: 3161-3166
- A systematic review on gender-specific suicide mortality in medical doctors.Br J Psychiatry. 1996; 168: 274-279
- Association of resident fatigue and distress with occupational blood and body fluid exposures and motor vehicle incidents.Mayo Clin Proc. 2012; 87: 1138-1144
- Burnout and physical activity in Minnesota internal medicine resident physicians.J Grad Med Educ. 2014; 6: 669-674
Jena A, Seabury S, Lakdawalla D, Chandra A. Malpractice risk according to physician specialty. N Engl J Med 2011;365:629–36.
- Personal consequences of malpractice lawsuits on American surgeons.J Am Coll Surg. 2011; 213: 657-687
- Dynamic tension between success in a surgical career and personal wellness: how can we succeed in a stressful environment and a ‘‘Culture of Bravado’’?.Ann Surg Oncol. 2011; 18: 1213-1216
- Gender differences in the effect of grief reactions and burnout on emotional distress among clinical oncologists.Cancer. 2016; 122: 3705-3714
Wallace J, Lemaire J. On physician well being-you’ll get by with a little help from your friends. Soc Sci Med 2007;64:2565–77.
- Comparison of hospital mortality and readmission rates for medicare patients treated by male vs female physicians.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 206-213
- Interventions to prevent and reduce physician burnout: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2016; 288: 2272-2281
- Comparison of burnout among medical residents before and after the implementation of work hours limits.Acad Psychiatry. 2006; 30: 352-355
- Effects of 2- vs 4-week attending physician inpatient rotations on unplanned patient revisits, evaluations by trainees, and attending physician burnout: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2012; 308: 2199-2207
- A cluster randomized trial of interventions to improve work conditions and clinician burnout in primary care: results from the Health Work Place (HWP) study.J Gen Intern Med. 2015; 30: 1105-1111
- Impact of organizational leadership on physician burnout and satisfaction.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 432-440
- Meeting the imperative to improve physician well-being: assessment of an innovative program.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 1544-1552
- Enhancing meaning in work: a prescription for preventing physician burnout and promoting patient-centered care.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1338-1340
- Intervention to promote physician wellbeing, job satisfaction, and professionalism a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 527-533
- Counselling for burnout in Norwegian doctors: one year cohort study.BMJ. 2008; 337: a2004
- A three-year cohort study of the relationships between coping, job stress and burnout after a counselling intervention for help-seeking physicians.BMC Public Health. 2010; 10: 213
- Burnout, psychological skills, and empathy: Balint training in obstetrics and gynecology residents.J Grad Med Educ. 2009; 1: 231-235
- “Balint group” meetings for oncology residents as a tool to improve therapeutic communication skills and reduce burnout level.J Cancer Educ. 2012; 27: 786-789
Balint M. The Doctor, His Patient and the Illness. London, England. Pitman; 1957.
- The impact of a physician awareness group and the first year of training on hematology-oncology fellows.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 3676-3682
- Shaping your career to maximize personal satisfaction in the practice of oncology.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 4020-4026
- Mindful practice.JAMA. 1999; 28: 833-839
- Effects of mindfulness-based stress reduction on medical and premedical students.J Behav Med. 1998; 21: 581-599
- The moderation of Mindfulness-based stress reduction effects by trait mindfulness: results from a randomized controlled trial.J Clin Psychol. 2011; 67: 267-277
- Association of an educational program in mindful communication with burnout, empathy, and attitudes among primary care physicians.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1284-1293
Goldhagen B, Kingsolver K, Stinnett S, Rosdahl J. Stress and burnout in residents: impact of mindfulness-based resilience training. Adv Med Educ Pract. 2015;25(6):525–32.
- A mindfulness course decreases burnout and improves well-being among healthcare providers.Int J Psychiatry Med. 2012; 43: 119-128
- A randomised controlled trial of the effects of mindfulness practice on medical student stress levels.Med Educ. 2011; 45: 351-388
- The importance of exercise in the well-rounded physician: dialogue for the inclusion of a physical fitness program in neurosurgery resident training.World Neurosurg. 2016; 90: 380-384
- The influence of workload and health behavior on job satisfaction of general practitioners.Fam Med. 2013; 45: 95-101
- Resident wellness behaviors: relationship to stress, depression, and burnout.Fam Med. 2013; 45: 541-549
- Using behavior change plans to improve medical student self-care.Acad Med. 2011; 86: 901-906
- Physical activity, quality of life, and burnout among physician trainees: the effect of a team-based, incentivized exercise program.Mayo Clin Proc. 2013; 88: 1435-1442
Fujimori M, Oba A, Koike M, et al. Communication skills training for Japanese oncologists on how to break bad news. J Cancer Educ 2003;18:194–201.
- Development and preliminary evaluation of communication skills training program for oncologists based on patient preferences for communicating bad news.Palliat Support Care. 2014; 12: 379-386
- Evaluation of a novel individualised communication skills training intervention to improve doctors’ confidence and skills in end-of-life communication.Palliat Med. 2013; 27: 236-243
Moore P, Rivera Mercado S, Grez Artigues M, Lawrie T. Communication skills training for healthcare professionals working with people who have cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013(3).
- Road map for maintaining career satisfaction and balance in surgical oncology.J Am Coll Surg. 2008; 207: 435-442
- Finding meaning, balance, and personal satisfaction in the practice of oncology.J Support Oncol. 2005; 3: 164
Worthington E, MacKenzie P. Doctor suicides prompt calls for overhaul of mandatory reporting laws. Australian Broadcasting Corporation; 2017.
- Executive leadership and physician well-being: nine organizational strategies to promote engagement and reduce burnout.Mayo Clin Proc. 2017; 92: 129-146
- Stress and burnout among gynecologic oncologists: A society of gynecologic oncology evidence-based review and recommendations.Gynecol Oncol. 2016; 143: 421-427
- The revised declaration of geneva: a modern-day physician’s pledge.JAMA. 2017; 318: 1971-1972
- Staff perception of the impact of health care transformation on quality of care.Int J Qual Health Care. 1999; 11: 345-351
- Subjective indicators as a gauge for improving organizational well being: an attempt to apply the cognitive activation theory to organizations.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2005; 30: 1022-1026
- Physician burnout: let's talk.Lancet. 2017; : 1370