- •Ovarian cancer, the deadliest of gynecological cancers, has a 70% recurrence rate.
- •Ovarian cancer presents homologous recombination deficiencies in 50% of cases.
- •PARP inhibitors manifest synthetic lethality in BRCA mutated cancers.
- •Rucaparib, a PARP inhibitor, is effective in patients with “BRCAness” phenotype.
- •A complex HRD assay predicts response to Rucaparib by defining the degree of LOH.
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Cancer Treatment Reviews
American Cancer Society: Cancer Facts and Figures 2017. Atlanta, Ga: American Cancer Society, 2017. Available online Exit Disclaimer [accessed October 13, 2017].
- Ovarian cancer.Lancet. 2014; 384: 1376-1388
- Can pharmacogenetics explain efficacy and safety of cisplatin pharmacotherapy?.Front Genet. 2014; 14: 391
- Gene expression and polymorphisms of DNA repair enzymes: cancer susceptibility and response to chemotherapy.Clin Lung Cancer. 2007; 8: 369-375
- The DNA damage response and cancer therapy.Nature. 2012; 481: 287-294
- BRCA1 and BRCA2: different roles in a common pathway of genome protection.Nat Rev Cancer. 2012; 12: 68-78
- The role of BRCA1 in DNA double-strand repair: past and present.Exp Cell Res. 2013; 319: 575-587
- BRCA1 and BRCA1 genes and inherited breast and/or ovarian cancer: benefits of genetic testing.Indian J Surg Oncol. 2010; 1: 245-249
- The role of BRCA2 in replication-coupled DNA interstrand cross-link repair in vitro.Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2006; 13: 729-733
- Ovarian cancer: status of homologous recombination pathway as a predictor of drug response.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2016; 101: 50-59
- The roles of BRCA1 and BRCA2 and associated proteins in the maintenance of genomic stability.Oncogene. 2006; 25: 5864-5874
- Integrated genomic analyses of ovarian carcinoma.Nature. 2011; 474: 609-615
- Germline and somatic mutations in homologous recombination genes predict platinum response and survival in ovarian, fallopian tube, and peritoneal carcinomas.Clin Cancer Res. 2014; 20: 764-775
- How to measure homologous recombination deficiency in ovarian cancer.Cancer Breaking News. 2017; 5: 15-20
- Rucaparib in relapsed, platinum-sensitive high-grade ovarian carcinoma (ARIEL2 Part 1): an international, multicentre, open-label, phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 75-87
- Emerging uses for genomic information in drug discovery.N Engl J Med. 1998; 338: 125-126
- Homologous recombination deficiency and ovarian cancer.Eur J Cancer. 2016; 60: 49-58
- An update on PARP inhibitors for the treatment of cancer.Onco Targets Ther. 2015; 8: 519-528
- Deficiency in the repair of DNA damage by homologous recombination and sensitivity to poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibition.Cancer Res. 2006; 66: 8109-8115
- Iniparib nonselectively modifies cysteine-containing proteins in tumor cells and is not a bona fide PARP inhibitor.Clin Cancer Res. 2012; 18: 510-523
- Cancer Res. 2012; 72: 5588-5599
- Trapping poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2015; 353: 446-457
- Nonhomologous end joining drives poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) inhibitor lethality in homologous recombination-deficient cells.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011; 108: 3406-3411
- Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitors: recent advances and future development.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33 (1397-06)
- What is the place of PARP inhibitors in ovarian cancer treatment?.Curr Oncol Rep. 2016; 18: 29
- Olaparib tablets as maintenance therapy in patients with platinum-sensitive, relapsed ovarian cancer and a BRCA1/2 mutation (SOLO2/ENGOT-Ov21): a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 1274-1284
- Olaparib monotherapy in patients with advanced cancer and a germline BRCA1/2 mutation.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 244-250
- Niraparib for the treatment of ovarian cancer.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2017; 18: 631-640
- Niraparib maintenance therapy in platinum-sensitive, recurrent ovarian cancer.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 2154-2164
- Rucaparib maintenance treatment for recurrent ovarian carcinoma after response to platinum therapy (ARIEL3): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2017; 390: 1949-1961
- Evaluation of rucaparib and companion diagnostics in the PARP inhibitor landscape for recurrent ovarian cancer therapy.Fut Oncol. 2016; 12: 1439-1456
Rubraca (rucaparib) [prescribing information]. Clovis Oncology, Boulder, CO; 2017.
- Rucaparib: the past, present, and future of a newly approved PARP inhibitor for ovarian cancer.Onco Targets Ther. 2017; 10: 3029-3037
DrugBank [Internet]. Edmonton (AB): Metabolomics Innovation Centre (TMIC), University of Alberta. c2006 – [cited 2017 November 8]. Available from: <https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB12332>.
- Phase I study of the Poly (ADP-Ribose) polymerase Inhibitor, AG014699, in combination with temozolomide in patients with advanced solid tumors.Clin Cancer Res. 2005; 14: 7917-7923
- PARP activity in peripheral blood lymphocytes as a predictive biomarker for PARP inhibition in tumor tissues – a population pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic analysis of Rucaparib.Clin Pharmacol Drug Dev. 2015; 4: 89-98
- Phase 2 multicentre trial investigating intermittent and continuous dosing schedules of the poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitor rucaparib in germline BRCA mutation carriers with advanced ovarian and breast cancer.Br J Cancer. 2016; 114: 21
- Family-wide chemical profiling and structural analysis of PARP and tankyrase inhibitors.Nat Biotechnol. 2012; 30: 283-288
- A phase I-II study of the oral PARP inhibitor rucaparib in patients with germline BRCA1/2-mutated ovarian carcinoma or other solid tumors.Clin Cancer Res. 2017; 23 (4095-06)
- PARP inhibitors in reproductive system cancers: current use and developments.Drugs. 2017; 77: 113-130
U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Approved drugs, Rucaparib [internet]. Silver Spring, MD: U.S. Food and Drug Administration 2009, July 24. Available from: <http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/InformationOnDrugs/ApprovedDrugs/ucm533891.htm> [accessed 28 November 2017].
ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2000 Feb 29. Identifier: NCT02855944, ARIEL4: A Study of Rucaparib Versus Chemotherapy BRCA Mutant Ovarian, Fallopian Tube, or Primary Peritoneal Cancer Patients; 2016, Aug 4 [citation 2017, Jul 26 ]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02855944.
Oza AM, Lorusso D, Oaknin A, Safra T, Swisher EM, Bondarenko IM, et al. ARIEL4: An international, multicenter, randomized phase 3 study of the PARP Inhibitor Rucaparib vs chemotherapy in germline or somatic BRCA1-or BRCA2-mutated, relapsed, high-grade ovarian carcinoma [abstract TPS5603]. ASCO Annual Meeting, Chicago (IL), June 2017.
- In vitro assessment of the roles of drug transporters in the disposition and drug–drug interaction potential of olaparib.Xenobiotica. 2017; 47: 903-915
- Prediction of clinical drug–drug interactions of veliparib (ABT-888) with human renal transporters (OAT1, OAT3, OCT2, MATE1, and MATE2K).J Pharm Sci. 2013; 102: 4426-4432
- Emerging treatment options for ovarian cancer: focus on rucaparib.Int J Womens Health. 2017; 9: 913-924
- Mechanisms of resistance to PARP inhibitors-three and counting.Cancer Discov. 2013; 3: 20-23
- Efficacy of chemotherapy in BRCA1/2 mutation carrier ovarian cancer in the setting of PARP inhibitor resistance: a multi-institutional study.Clin Cancer Res. 2013; 19: 5485-5493
- Progress in the treatment of ovarian cancer-lessons from homologous recombination deficiency-the first 10 years.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: i1-i3
- Olaparib combined with chemotherapy for recurrent platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer: a randomised phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 87-97
- PI3K inhibition impairs BRCA1/2 expression and sensitises BRCA-proficient triple-negative breast cancer to PARP inhibition.Cancer Discov. 2012; 2: 1036-1047
- A phase I study of intravenous and oral rucaparib in combination with chemotherapy in patients with advanced solid tumours.Br J Cancer. 2017; 116: 884-892
- Combination cediranib and olaparib versus olaparib alone for women with recurrent platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer: a randomised phase 2 study.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 1207-1214