- •Effectiveness of psychotherapy for depression in advanced cancer patients was tested.
- •The result of meta-analysis indicated that psychotherapy was moderately effective.
- •Few studies focused on people with clinically diagnosed depression.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prevalence of depression, anxiety, and adjustment disorder in oncological, haematological, and palliative-care settings: a meta-analysis of 94 interview-based studies.Lancet Oncol. 2011; 12: 160-174
- Assessing and managing depression in the terminally ill patient. ACP-ASIM end-of-life care consensus panel. American College of Physicians – American Society of Internal Medicine.Ann Int Med. 2000; 132: 209-218
- Dying with cancer, living well with advanced cancer.Eur J Cancer. 2008; 44: 1414-1424
- Adherence influencing factors in patients taking oral anticancer agents: a systematic review.Cancer Epidemiol. 2014; 38: 214-226
- Mental disorders in cancer suicides.J Affect Disord. 1995; 36: 11-20
- Family caregivers' perceptions of depression in patients with advanced cancer: a qualitative study.Palliat Support Care. 2014; 13: 1-8
- Psychiatric morbidity and impact on hospital length of stay among hematologic cancer patients receiving stem-cell transplantation.J Clin Oncol. 2002; 20: 1907-1917
- Depression and cancer mortality: a meta-analysis.Psychol Med. 2010; 40: 1797-1810
- Antidepressants for the treatment of depression in people with cancer.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 6
- Antidepressant medication in patients with advanced cancer – an observational study.QJM. 2013; 106: 995-1001
- Clinical experience of the use of a pharmacological treatment algorithm for major depressive disorder in patients with advanced cancer.Psychooncology. 2008; 17: 154-160
- Mental health literacy in Japanese cancer patients: ability to recognize depression and preferences of treatments-comparison with Japanese lay public.Psychooncology. 2007; 16: 834-842
- Patient preference for psychological vs pharmacologic treatment of psychiatric disorders: a meta-analytic review.J Clin Psychiat. 2013; 74: 595-602
- Introduction.in: Corsini R.J.W.D. Current psychotherapies. F.E. Peacock Publishers, Inc., Itasca Illinois2000: 1-4
- Psychotherapy: an Australian perspective.IP Communications, Hawthorn (Victoria, Australia)2013
- The nurse psychotherapists and a framework for practice.in: Wheeler K. Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: a how to guide for evidence-based practice. Springer Publishing Company, New York2014: 3-6
- Effects of psycho-oncologic interventions on emotional distress and quality of life in adult patients with cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 782-793
- Meta-analysis of efficacy of interventions for elevated depressive symptoms in adults diagnosed with cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012; 104: 990-1004
- Psychotherapy for depression among incurable cancer patients.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; 2
- Psychotherapy of mood disorders.in: Gabbard G.O. Gabbard's treatments of psychiatric disorders. American Psychiatric Publishing, Washington (DC)2014: 221-248
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.Ann Int Med. 2009; 151: W64
- A pragmatic approach to the study of therapeutic interaction: toward an observational science of psychotherapy process.in: Gelo O.C.G. Pritz A. Rieken B. Psychotherapy research. Springer, Vienna2015: 517-534
- Conversation analysis and psychotherapy process research.in: Gelo O.C.G. Pritz A. Rieken B. Psychotherapy research. Springer, Vienna2015: 501-515
Department of Health. Talking therapies: a four-year plan of action. <http://wwwiaptnhsuk/silo/files/talking-therapies-a-four-year-plan-of-actionpdf2011>.
- An inventory for measuring depression.Arch Gen Psychiat. 1961; 4: 561-571
- Edits manual for the profile of mood states.Edits/Educational and Industrial Testing Service, San Diego1992
Association. AP. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-IV), 4th ed. Washington: American Psychiatric Press; 1994.
Review Manager (RevMan). Version 5.3. Copenhagen: The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration; 2014.
Higgins JPT, Green S. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration; 2011.
- From effect size into number needed to treat.Lancet. 1999; 353: 1680
- Influence of reported study design characteristics on intervention effect estimates from randomised controlled trials: combined analysis of meta-epidemiological studies.Health Technol Assess. 2012; 16: 1-82
Schünemann H, Brożek J, Guyatt G, Oxman A. GRADE handbook. In: Group TGW, editor; 2013.
- Supportive-expressive group therapy and distress in patients with metastatic breast cancer: a randomized clinical intervention trial.Arch Gen Psychiat. 2001; 58: 494-501
- A group cognitive behaviour therapy programme with metastatic breast cancer patients.Psychooncology. 1999; 8: 295-305
- The effect of group psychosocial support on survival in metastatic breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 1719-1726
- Effects of counseling for late stage cancer patients.Cancer. 1982; 49: 1048-1055
- Group support for patients with metastatic cancer. A randomized outcome study.Arch Gen Psychiat. 1981; 38: 527-533
- Problem-solving therapy in palliative care.Palliat Med. 1997; 11: 49-54
- Quality of life and mood changes in metastatic breast cancer after training in self-hypnosis or Johrei: a short report.Contemp Hypn. 2005; 22: 84-93
- Efficacy of clinical hypnosis in the enhancement of quality of life of terminally ill cancer patients.Contemp Hypn. 2001; 18: 145-160
- Relaxation and imagery for anxiety and depression control in community patients with advanced cancer.Cancer Nurs. 2002; 25: 432-435
- Psychotherapy improving depression and anxiety of patients treated with chemotherapy combined with radiotherapy.Chin J Clin Rehabil. 2003; 7: 2462-2463
- Efficacy of short-term life-review interviews on the spiritual well-being of terminally ill cancer patients.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2010; 39: 993-1002
- Pilot randomized controlled trial of individual meaning-centered psychotherapy for patients with advanced cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 1304-1309
- A pilot randomized controlled trial of brief cognitive-behavioral therapy for anxiety in patients with terminal cancer.Oncologist. 2012; 17: 1337-1345
- The meaning-making intervention (MMi) appears to increase meaning in life in advanced ovarian cancer: a randomized controlled pilot study.Psychooncology. 2010; 19: 1340-1347
- Supportive-expressive group therapy for women with metastatic breast cancer: survival and psychosocial outcome from a randomized controlled trial.Psychooncology. 2007; 16: 277-286
- Improving psychological adjustment among late-stage ovarian cancer patients: examining the role of avoidance in treatment.Cogn Behav Pract. 2012; 19: 508-517
- Randomized clinical trial on cognitive therapy for depression in women with metastatic breast cancer: psychological and immunological effects.Palliat Support Care. 2006; 4: 219-237
- The hospital anxiety and depression scale.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1983; 67: 361-370
- The development of evidence-based European guidelines on the management of depression in palliative cancer care.Eur J Cancer. 2011; 47: 702-712
- Psychosocial interventions for patients with advanced cancer – a systematic review of the literature.Br J Cancer. 2004; 91: 1050-1062
- Challenges for palliative care research.J Palliat Med. 2004; 7: 398-402
- Are psychological interventions effective and accepted by cancer patients? II. Using empirically supported therapy guidelines to decide.Ann Behav Med. 2006; 32: 98-103
- Psychological treatments that cause harm.Perspect Psychol Sci. 2007; 2: 53-70
- How to define, find and classify side effects in psychotherapy: from unwanted events to adverse treatment reactions.Clin Psychol Psychother. 2013; 20: 286-296
- Reporting of harms in randomized controlled trials of psychological interventions for mental and behavioral disorders: a review of current practice.Contemp Clin Trials. 2014; 38: 1-8