- •Role of immune checkpoint inhibition in the management of key malignancies.
- •Description of rates of immune-related adverse events and timing of their onset.
- •Management strategies for immune-related toxicities.
- PD-1 and CTLA-4 combination blockade expands infiltrating T cells and reduces regulatory T and myeloid cells within B16 melanoma tumors.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2010; 107: 4275-4280
- Improved survival with ipilimumab in patients with metastatic melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 711-723
- Ipilimumab versus placebo after radiotherapy in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer that had progressed after docetaxel chemotherapy (CA184-043): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 700-712
- Adjuvant ipilimumab versus placebo after complete resection of high-risk stage III melanoma (EORTC 18071): a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 522-530
- Pembrolizumab versus ipilimumab in advanced melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2521-2532
- Ipilimumab plus dacarbazine for previously untreated metastatic melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 2517-2526
- Nivolumab in previously untreated melanoma without BRAF mutation.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 320-330
- Nivolumab versus chemotherapy in patients with advanced melanoma who progressed after anti-CTLA-4 treatment (CheckMate 037): a randomised, controlled, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 375-384
- Pembrolizumab versus investigator-choice chemotherapy for ipilimumab-refractory melanoma (KEYNOTE-002): a randomised, controlled, phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 908-918
- Combined nivolumab and ipilimumab or monotherapy in untreated melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 23-34
- Safety and activity of anti-PD-L1 antibody in patients with advanced cancer.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 2455-2465
- Ipilimumab monotherapy in patients with pretreated advanced melanoma: a randomised, double-blind, multicentre, phase 2, dose-ranging study.Lancet Oncol. 2010; 11: 155-164
- Anti-programmed-death-receptor-1 treatment with pembrolizumab in ipilimumab-refractory advanced melanoma: a randomised dose-comparison cohort of a phase 1 trial.Lancet. 2014; 384: 1109-1117
- Activity and safety of nivolumab, an anti-PD-1 immune checkpoint inhibitor, for patients with advanced, refractory squamous non-small-cell lung cancer (CheckMate 063): a phase 2, single-arm trial.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 257-265
- Overall survival and long-term safety of nivolumab (anti-programmed death 1 antibody, BMS-936558, ONO-4538) in patients with previously treated advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 2004-2012
- Nivolumab versus docetaxel in advanced squamous-cell non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 123-135
- Pembrolizumab versus docetaxel for previously treated, PD-L1-positive, advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (KEYNOTE-010): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2015; 373: 1627-1639
- Nivolumab versus docetaxel in advanced nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1627-1639
- Pembrolizumab for the treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2018-2028
- Tremelimumab for patients with chemotherapy-resistant advanced malignant mesothelioma: an open-label, single-arm, phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 1104-1111
- Efficacy and safety of an intensified schedule of tremelimumab for chemotherapy-resistant malignant mesothelioma: an open-label, single-arm, phase 2 study.Lancet Respir Med. 2015; 3: 301-309
- Nivolumab for metastatic renal cell carcinoma: results of a randomized phase II trial.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 1430-1437
- Nivolumab versus everolimus in advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1803-1813
- PD-1 blockade with nivolumab in relapsed or refractory Hodgkin’s lymphoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 311-319
- Safety and activity of PD1 blockade by pidilizumab in combination with rituximab in patients with relapsed follicular lymphoma: a single group, open-label, phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 69-77
- Disabling immune tolerance by programmed death-1 blockade with pidilizumab after autologous hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation for diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: results of an international phase II trial.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 4199-4206
- PD-1 blockade in tumors with mismatch-repair deficiency.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2509-2520
- Management of immune-related adverse events and kinetics of response with ipilimumab.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 2691-2697
Ibrahim R, Berman DM, DePril V, Humphrey RW, Chen T, Messina M, et al. Ipilimumab safety profile: Summary of findings from completed trials in advanced melanoma. American Society Clinical Oncology (ASCO); J Clin Oncol, (Suppl.; abstr 8583), Chicago, 2011.
Weber J, Antonia S, Topalian SL, Schadendorf D, Larkin J, Sznol M, et al. Safety profile of nivolumab (NIVO) in patients (pts) with advanced melanoma (MEL): a pooled analysis. American Society Clinical Oncology (ASCO); J Clin Oncol 33, (Suppl.; abstr 9018), Chicago, 2015.
- Endocrine-related adverse events following ipilimumab in patients with advanced melanoma: a comprehensive retrospective review from a single institution.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2014; 21: 371-381
- Survivorship in immune therapy: assessing chronic immune toxicities, health outcomes, and functional status among long-term ipilimumab survivors at a single referral center.Cancer Immunol Res. 2015; 3: 464-469
U.S.D.o.H.a.H. Services. Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events; Version 4.0; 2009. http://evs.nci.nih.gov/ftp1/CTCAE/CTCAE_4.03_2010-06-14_QuickReference_8.5x11.pdf.
- Resolution of severe ipilimumab-induced hepatitis after antithymocyte globulin therapy.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: e237-e240
- Ipilimumab and immune-mediated adverse events: a case report of anti-CTLA4 induced ileitis.BMC Cancer. 2015; 15: 87
- Association between ipilimumab and celiac disease.Mayo Clin Proc. 2013; 88: 414-417
Bristol Myers Squibb. Yervoy (Ipilimumab) Product Information; 2015. http://packageinserts.bms.com/pi/pi_yervoy.pdf.
Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. Keytruda (Pembrolizumab) Product Information; 2015. http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/k/keytruda/keytruda_pi.pdf.
- Ipilimumab-associated colitis: CT findings.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2013; 200: W468-W474
- Blockade of cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen-4 by ipilimumab results in dysregulation of gastrointestinal immunity in patients with advanced melanoma.Cancer Immun. 2010; 10: 11
- Cytotoxic T lymphocyte-associated antigen 4 blockade in patients with metastatic melanoma: a new cause of uveitis.J Immunother. 2004; 27: 478-479
Bristol Myers Squibb. Opdivo (Nivolumab) Product Information; 2015. http://packageinserts.bms.com/pi/pi_opdivo.pdf.
- Inflammatory enteric neuropathy with severe constipation after ipilimumab treatment for melanoma: a case report.J Immunother. 2009; 32: 203-205
- Delayed dermatologic hypersensitivity reaction secondary to ipilimumab.J Immunother. 2015; 38: 165-166
- The risk of rash associated with ipilimumab in patients with cancer: a systematic review of the literature and meta-analysis.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013; 69: e121-e128
- Melan-A-specific cytotoxic T cells are associated with tumor regression and autoimmunity following treatment with anti-CTLA-4.Clin Cancer Res. 2009; 15: 2507-2513
Pavlick A, Ott PA, Kannan R, Madden KM, Sorlie C, Escano C, et al. Hair depigmentation as an indicator of durable response to CTLA-4 therapy. American Society Clinical Oncology (ASCO); J Clin Oncol, (Suppl.; abstr 8571), Chicago, 2010.
- Association of vitiligo with tumor response in patients with metastatic melanoma treated with pembrolizumab.JAMA Dermatol. 2016; 152: 45-51
- The price of tumor control: an analysis of rare side effects of anti-CTLA-4 therapy in metastatic melanoma from the ipilimumab network.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e53745
- Ipilimumab-associated Sweet syndrome in a patient with high-risk melanoma.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014; 70: e85-e86
- Ipilimumab-associated Sweet syndrome in a melanoma patient.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014; 71: e211-e213
- Autoimmunity correlates with tumor regression in patients with metastatic melanoma treated with anti-cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen-4.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 6043-6053
Weber J, Gibney G, Yu B, Cheng P, Martinez A, Kroeger J, et al. Survival, biomarker, and toxicity analysis of nivolumab (NIVO) in patients that progressed on ipilimumab (IPI). American Society Clinical Oncology (ASCO); J Clin Oncol 33, (Suppl.; abstr 9055), Chicago, 2015.
- Endocrine side effects induced by immune checkpoint inhibitors.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 98: 1361-1375
- Endocrine side-effects of anti-cancer drugs: mAbs and pituitary dysfunction: clinical evidence and pathogenic hypotheses.Eur J Endocrinol. 2013; 169: R153-R164
- Long-term follow-up of ipilimumab-induced hypophysitis, a common adverse event of the anti-CTLA-4 antibody in melanoma.Eur J Endocrinol. 2015; 172: 195-204
- Anti-CTLA-4 antibody therapy associated autoimmune hypophysitis: serious immune related adverse events across a spectrum of cancer subtypes.Pituitary. 2010; 13: 29-38
- Anti-programmed cell death-1 therapy and insulin-dependent diabetes: a case report.Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2015; 64: 765-767
- Anti-CTLA4 antibody-induced lupus nephritis.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 211-212
- A severe case of ipilimumab-induced guillain-barre syndrome revealed by an occlusive enteric neuropathy: a differential diagnosis for ipilimumab-induced colitis.J Immunother. 2013; 36: 77-78
- Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome during ipilimumab therapy for malignant melanoma.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: e76-e78
- Multifocal radiculoneuropathy during ipilimumab treatment of melanoma.Muscle Nerve. 2013; 48: 440-444
- Lambrolizumab induced central nervous system (CNS) toxicity.J Neurol Sci. 2014; 344: 229-231
- Arthritis and tenosynovitis associated with the anti-PD1 antibody pembrolizumab in metastatic melanoma.J Immunother. 2015; 38: 37-39
- Drug-associated polymyalgia rheumatica/giant cell arteritis occurring in two patients after treatment with ipilimumab, an antagonist of ctla-4.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2014; 66: 768-769
- Apical ballooning and cardiomyopathy in a melanoma patient treated with ipilimumab: a case of takotsubo-like syndrome.J Immunother Cancer. 2015; 3: 4
- Acute heart failure due to autoimmune myocarditis under pembrolizumab treatment for metastatic melanoma.J Immunother Cancer. 2015; 3: 11
- Serious haematological toxicity during and after ipilimumab treatment: a case series.J Med Case Rep. 2014; 8: 240
- Hemophilia A induced by ipilimumab.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 1747-1748
- Ipilimumab-induced sarcoidosis in a patient with metastatic melanoma undergoing complete remission.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: ee7-ee10
- Sarcoidosis complicating anti-cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated antigen-4 monoclonal antibody biotherapy.Eur Respir J. 2013; 41: 246-247
- Cutaneous and pulmonary sarcoidosis-like reaction associated with ipilimumab.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013; 69: e272-e273
- New-onset mediastinal and central nervous system sarcoidosis in a patient with metastatic melanoma undergoing CTLA4 monoclonal antibody treatment.Oncol Res Treat. 2014; 37: 351-353
- Anti-CTLA4 monoclonal antibody induced sarcoidosis in a metastatic melanoma patient.Dermatology. 2009; 218: 69-70
- Pulmonary sarcoid-like granulomatosis induced by ipilimumab.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: e156-159
- Late development of splenic sarcoidosis-like lesions in a patient with metastatic melanoma and long-lasting clinical response to ipilimumab.Oncoimmunology. 2014; 3: e954506
- Prevention of osteoporosis associated with chronic glucocorticoid therapy.JAMA. 2006; 295: 1300-1303
- Survival, durable tumor remission, and long-term safety in patients with advanced melanoma receiving nivolumab.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 1020-1030
- The cost of ipilimumab toxicity: a single-centre analysis.Melanoma Res. 2015; 25: 259-264
- Ipilimumab (anti-CTLA4 antibody) causes regression of metastatic renal cell cancer associated with enteritis and hypophysitis.J Immunother. 2007; 30: 825-830
- Prognostic factors related to clinical response in patients with metastatic melanoma treated by CTL-associated antigen-4 blockade.Clin Cancer Res. 2007; 13: 6681-6688
Amin A, DePril V, Hamid O, Wolchok J, Maio M, Neyns B, et al. Evaluation of the effect of systemic corticosteroids for the treatment of immune-related adverse events (irAEs) on the development or maintenance of ipilimumab clinical activity. American Society Clinical Oncology (ASCO); J Clin Oncol, (Suppl.; abstr 9037), Chicago, 2009.
- Immune-related adverse events, need for systemic immunosuppression, and effects on survival and time to treatment failure in patients with melanoma treated with ipilimumab at memorial sloan kettering cancer center.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 3193-3198
- Atypical severe immune-related adverse effects resulting from sequenced immunotherapy in melanoma.Melanoma Res. 2015; 25: 178-179
- Ipilimumab retreatment in patients with pretreated advanced melanoma: the expanded access programme in Italy.Br J Cancer. 2014; 110: 1721-1726
- Survival follow-up and ipilimumab retreatment of patients with advanced melanoma who received ipilimumab in prior phase II studies.Ann Oncol. 2014; 25: 2277-2284
- Therapy preferences in melanoma treatment–willingness to pay and preference of quality versus length of life of patients, physicians and healthy controls.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9: e111237
- Successful administration of ipilimumab to two kidney transplantation patients with metastatic melanoma.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: e69-e71
- Rapid complete response of metastatic melanoma in a patient undergoing ipilimumab immunotherapy in the setting of active ulcerative colitis.J Immunother Cancer. 2015; 3: 19
- Ipilimumab in patients with melanoma and autoimmune disease.J Immunother Cancer. 2014; 2: 35
Johnson DB, Khushalani NI, Puzanov I, Mudigonda T, Kaufman H, Sosman JA, et al. Ipilimumab in metastatic melanoma patients with pre-existing autoimmune disorders. American Society Clinical Oncology (ASCO); J Clin Oncol 33, (Suppl.; abstr 9019), Chicago, 2015.