- Cancer statistics 2006.CA Cancer J Clin. 2006; 56: 106-130
- Novel approaches in the therapy of metastatic renal cell carcinoma.World J Urol. 2005; 23: 202-212
- Combination of surgery and immunotherapy in metastatic renal cell carcinoma.World J Urol. 2005; 23: 191-195
- Renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 865-875
National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). Practice guidelines in oncology: kidney cancer (v.1.2007). http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician%5Fgls/PDF/kidney.pdf (accessed October 2006).
American Cancer Society. Cancer facts and figures; 2006. http://www.cancer.org/downloads/STT/CAFF2006PWSecured.pdf (accessed October 2006).
- Kidney cancer.Lancet. 1998; 352: 1691-1696
- Rising incidence of renal cell cancer in the United States.JAMA. 1999; 281: 1628-1631
- Increasing incidence of all stages of kidney cancer in the last 2 decades in the United States: an analysis of surveillance, epidemiology and end results program data.J Urol. 2002; 167: 57-60
- Rising incidence of small renal masses: a need to reassess treatment effect.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006; 98: 1331-1334
- Increased incidence of serendipitously discovered renal cell carcinoma.Urology. 1998; 51: 203-205
- Epidemiology of renal cell carcinoma.Scand J Surg. 2004; 93: 88-96
- Renal cell carcinoma: etiology, incidence and epidemiology.Curr Opin Urol. 2004; 14: 229-233
- Renal cell carcinoma.Curr Opin Oncol. 2004; 16: 247-252
- Renal cell carcinoma.Curr Opin Oncol. 2005; 17: 261-267
- Renal cell carcinoma.Curr Opin Oncol. 2006; 18: 289-296
Wallen E, Pruthi R. The burden of kidney cancer in America: the urologic diseases in America Project. In: Paper presented at: American Urological Association Annual Meeting 2006; abstract 226; May 20–25; 2006.
- Hypertension, obesity and their medications in relation to renal cell carcinoma.Br J Cancer. 1998; 77: 1508-1513
- Treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma with a combination of bevacizumab and erlotinib.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 7889-7896
- Multimodality treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma.Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2002; 2: 681-685
- Targeted agents for the treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma.Cancer. 2005; 104: 2323-2333
- Regression of metastatic renal-cell carcinoma after nonmyeloablative allogeneic peripheral-blood stem-cell transplantation.N Engl J Med. 2000; 343: 750-758
- Focus on kidney cancer.Cancer Cell. 2004; 6: 223-228
- Systemic therapy for renal cell carcinoma.J Urol. 2000; 163: 408-417
Ries L, Melbert D, Krapcho M, et al. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2004, National Cancer Institute. http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2004/, (accessed November 2007).
- A brief symptom index for advanced renal cell carcinoma.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2006; 4: 68
- Guidelines on renal cell cancer.Eur Urol. 2001; 40: 252-255
- Phase III trial of interferon alfa-2a with or without 13-cis-retinoic acid for patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2000; 18: 2972-2980
- Activity of SU11248, a multitargeted inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor and platelet-derived growth factor receptor, in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 16-24
- Natural history and therapy of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: the role of interleukin-2.Cancer. 1997; 80: 1198-1220
- Treatment for renal cancer: are we beyond the cytokine era?.Nat Clin Pract Urol. 2006; 3: 478-484
- Randomized comparison of high-dose and low-dose intravenous interleukin-2 for the therapy of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: an interim report.J Clin Oncol. 1994; 12: 1572-1576
- Randomized study of high-dose and low-dose interleukin-2 in patients with metastatic renal cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 3127-3132
Avastin package Insert 2006. Genentech, SF, CA. http://www.gene.com/gene/products/information/oncology/avastin/insert.jsp, (accessed February 2007).
- A randomized trial of bevacizumab, an anti-vascular endothelial growth factor antibody, for metastatic renal cancer.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 427-434
Nexavar(R) Package Insert, 2006. Bayer Healthcare Corporation, Leverkusen, Germany. http://www.univgraph.com/bayer/inserts/nexavar.pdf, (accessed February 2007).
Sutent(R) Package Insert 2007. Pfizer inc. New York, NY. http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/download/uspi_sutent.pdf, (accessed December 2006).
- Sunitinib versus interferon alfa in metastatic renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 115-124
- Treatment options in metastatic renal carcinoma: an embarrassment of riches.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 1-3
- Sorafenib in advanced clear-cell renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 125-134
- Temsirolimus, interferon alfa, or both for advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 2271-2281
- Nephrectomy and interleukin-2 for metastatic renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 1711-1712
International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). GLOBOCAN database 2002. http://www-dep.iarc.fr, (accessed July 2006).
Zbrozek AS, Gilden DM, Kubisiak J, Lee A. Burden of illness study of lung, pancreatic, and renal cell cancers. In: Paper presented at: ASCO annual meeting proceedings 2002; abstract 2592; 2002.
- Effect of cytokine therapy on survival for patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2000; 18: 1928-1935
Ries L, Eisner M, Kosary C, et al. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2002, National Cancer Institute. http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2002/, (accessed November 2006).
- The burden of illness of cancer: economic cost and quality of life.Annu Rev Public Health. 2001; 22: 91-113
U.S. Bureau of labor Statistics., Division of Consumer Price Indexes. Consumer Price Indexes (CPI). http://www.bls.gov/cpi/home.htm, (accessed February 2007).
Allareddy V, Konety BR. Inpatient costs for bladder, kidney, and prostate cancers in the year 2002. A study using the NIS sample. In: Paper presented at: American Urological Association Annual Meeting, May 20–25; 2006; Atlanta, Georgia. abstract 232.
Lang K, Danchenko N, Gondek K, Schwartz B, Thompson D. Burden of illness analysis of renal cell carcinoma. In: Paper presented at: ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings 2006; abstract 14548; 2006.
- Combined treatment with low-dose interferon plus vinblastine is associated with less toxicity than conventional interferon monotherapy in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2000; 20: 685-690
ISPOR. Health Care Cost, Quality, and Outcomes: ISPOR Book of Terms. Lawrenceville, New Jersey: International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research; 2003.
Gao X, Reddy P, Dhanda R, et al. Cost-effectiveness of sorafenib versus best supportive care in advanced renal cell carcinoma. In: Paper presented at: ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings Part I 2006; abstract 4604; 2006.
- Gold M. Siegel J. Russell L. Weinstein M. Cost effectiveness in health and medicine. 1st ed. Oxford University Press, New York, NY1996
- Do oncologists believe new cancer drugs offer good value?.Oncologist. 2006; 11: 90-95
- Years of potential life lost (YPLL)–what does it measure?.Epidemiology. 1990; 1: 322-329
BC Cancer Agency. BC Cancer Statistics: Potential Years of Life Lost. http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/HPI/CancerStatistics/FF/LifeLost.htm, (accessed November 2006).
- Years of life lost (YLL) from cancer is an important measure of population burden – and should be considered when allocating research funds.Br J Cancer. 2005; 92: 241-245
National Cancer Institute. SEER Cancer Statistics Review 1975–2000. http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2000/results_merged/topic_year_lost.pdf, (accessed November 2006).
- The burden of illness of cancer: economic cost and quality of life.Annu Rev Public Health. 2001; 22: 91-113
- Health related quality of life outcomes in patients treated for metastatic kidney cancer: a pilot study.J Urol. 1997; 157: 1608-1612
- Psychosocial and demographic predictors of quality of life in a large sample of cancer patients.Psycho-Oncology. 2003; 12: 183-193
- Outcomes of cancer treatment for technology assessment and cancer treatment guidelines.J Clin Oncol. 1996; 14: 671-679
- Rapid deterioration in quality of life during interleukin-2- and alpha-interferon-based home therapy of renal cell carcinoma is associated with a good outcome.Br J Cancer. 2003; 89: 50-54
- Subjective and objective prospective, long-term analysis of quality of life during inhaled interleukin-2 immunotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 1999; 17: 3612-3620
- Life quality of patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma and chemo-immunotherapy – a pilot study.Anticancer Res. 1999; 19: 1553-1555
Beaumont J, Cella D, Li J, et al. Patient-Reported Fatigue in Three Sunitinib Malate (SU11248) Phase II Trials for the Treatment of Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma, Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor, and Neuroendocrine Tumor. In: Paper presented at: First Annual Chicago Supportive Oncology Conference 2005 Scientific Posters, October 6–8; 2005; Hotel InterContinental, Chicago, Illinois.
Beaumont JL, Cella D, Li JZ, et al. Efficacy and patient-reported outcomes of sunitinib malate (SU11248) in three phase II trials in advanced renal cell carcinoma, gastrointestinal stromal tumor, and neuroendocrine tumor. In: Paper presented at: International Congress on Anti Cancer Treatment (ICACT); January 2006; Paris.
- Randomized phase III trial of the multi-kinase inhibitor sorafenib (BAY 43-9006) in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC).Eur J Cancer Suppl. 2005; 3: 226
Dhanda R, Gondek K, Song J, Cella D, Bukowski RM, Escudier B.A comparison of quality of life and symptoms in kidney cancer patients receiving sorafenib versus placebo. In: Paper presented at: J Clin Oncol (Meeting Abstracts) 2006; 24: Abstract 4534; 2006.
- The changing natural history of renal cell carcinoma.J Urol. 2001; 166: 1611-1623
- Cost-effectiveness and reimbursement issues in renal cell carcinoma.Semin Oncol. 1989; 16: 20-26
- Quality of life aspects in kidney cancer patients: data from a national registry.Supportive Care in Cancer. 2003; 11: 700-706
Bacik J, Fairclough D, Murphy B, et al. Quality of Life (QOL) Analysis for a Randomized Phase III Trial of Interferon Alfa-2a (IFN) versus IFN Plus 13-Cis-Retinoic Acid (CRA) in Patients (Pts) with Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma (RCC). In: Paper presented at: ASCO Annual meeting Proceeding 2000; abstract 1377; 2000.
- The association between treatment-specific optimism and depressive symptomatology in patients enrolled in a Phase I cancer clinical trial.Cancer. 2001; 91: 1949-1955
- The association between social support, intrusive thoughts, avoidance, and adjustment following an experimental cancer treatment.Psychooncology. 2003; 12: 453-462
- Quality of life in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma participating in a phase I trial of an autologous tumor-derived vaccine.Urol Oncol. 2002; 7: 119-124
Cole BF, McDermott D, Parker R, et al. The impact of treatment with high-dose interleukin-2 (HD IL-2) or subcutaneous (SC) IL-2/interferon alfa-2b (IFN) on quality of life (QOL) in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma (mRCC). In: Paper presented at: ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings 2003; abstract 1555; 2003.
- A phase II study of interferon-alpha, interleukin-2 and 5-fluorouracil in advanced renal carcinoma: clinical data and laboratory evidence of protease activation.Br J Urol. 1996; 77: 638-649
Kondagunta G, Bacik J, Ishill N, et al. Pegylated interferon alpha-2B (PEG-Intron) for metastatic renal cell cancer (mRCC): Results of a phase II clinical trial and biologic correlates of response. In: Paper presented at: ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings 2006; abstract 4528; 2006.
- A phase II trial of palliative radiotherapy for metastatic renal cell carcinoma.Cancer. 2005; 104: 1894-1900
Phan G, Morton K, Liewehr D, Steinberg S, Rosenberg S, Yang J. Quality of life in patients with metastatic renal cell cancer receiving different regimens of interleukin-2. In: Paper presented at: ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings 2002; abstract 95; 2002.
Plasse T, Goss T, Dutcher J, et al. Quality of life assessment of renal cancer patients treated with interleukin-2, interferon-[alpha] and 5-fluorouracil. In: Paper presented at: ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings 1998; abstract 260; 1998.
- IPM chemotherapy in cytokine refractory renal cell cancer.Br J Cancer. 2003; 88: 1516-1521
- Alpha-interferon 2a and 1 3-cis-retinoic acid for the treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma.Int Med J. 2002; 32: 158-162
☆Burden of metastatic renal cell carcinoma.