Materials and methods
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Cancer Treatment Reviews
- Overall survival and updated results for sunitinib compared with interferon alfa in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 3584
- Sunitinib versus interferon alfa in metastatic renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 115
- Pazopanib in locally advanced or metastatic renal cell carcinoma: results of a randomized phase III trial.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1061
- Phase III trial of bevacizumab plus interferon alfa-2a in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma (AVOREN): final analysis of overall survival.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 2144
- Bevacizumab plus interferon alfa-2a for treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a randomised, double-blind phase III trial.Lancet. 2007; 370: 2103
- Phase III trial of bevacizumab plus interferon alfa versus interferon alfa monotherapy in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma: final results of CALGB 90206.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 2137
- Bevacizumab plus interferon alfa compared with interferon alfa monotherapy in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma: CALGB 90206.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 5422
- Temsirolimus, interferon alfa, or both for advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 2271
- Comparative effectiveness of axitinib versus sorafenib in advanced renal cell carcinoma (AXIS): a randomised phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2011; 378: 1931
- Phase 3 trial of everolimus for metastatic renal cell carcinoma: final results and analysis of prognostic factors.Cancer. 2010; 116: 4256
- Efficacy of everolimus in advanced renal cell carcinoma: a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled phase III trial.Lancet. 2008; 372: 449
- Sorafenib in advanced clear-cell renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 125
- Sorafenib for treatment of renal cell carcinoma: final efficacy and safety results of the phase III treatment approaches in renal cancer global evaluation trial.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 3312
- Validation of an index of the quality of review articles.J Clin Epidemiol. 1991; 44: 1271
Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE) and Common Toxicity Criteria (CTC): National Cancer Institute; 2006.
- Safety and efficacy of sunitinib for metastatic renal-cell carcinoma: an expanded-access trial.Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 757
- Improved tolerability and quality of life with maintained efficacy using twice-daily low-dose interferon-alpha-2b: results of a randomized phase II trial of low-dose versus intermediate-dose interferon-alpha-2b in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.Cancer. 2006; 107: 2254
- An international expanded-access programme of everolimus: addressing safety and efficacy in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma who progress after initial vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-tyrosine kinase inhibitor therapy.Eur J Cancer. 2011; 48: 324
- Final results of the European Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma Sorafenib (EU-ARCCS) expanded-access study: a large open-label study in diverse community settings.Ann Oncol. 2011; 22: 1812
- Safety and efficacy results of the advanced renal cell carcinoma sorafenib expanded access program in North America.Cancer. 2010; 116: 1272
National Comprehensive Cancer Network Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. Cancer-Related Fatigue; 2012.
- Management of cancer-related fatigue.Cancer Invest. 2005; 23: 229
National Comprehensive Cancer Network Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. Palliative Care; 2012.
National Comprehensive Cancer Network Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. Myeloid Growth Factor; 2012.
- Efficacy and safety of pazopanib in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 475
- Sunitinib-induced macrocytosis in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.Cancer. 2008; 113: 1309
- Sunitinib causes macrocytosis in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma.Curr Oncol. 2010; 17: 30
- Tyrosine kinase inhibitor-induced macrocytosis.Anticancer Res. 2009; 29: 5225
National Comprehensive Cancer Network Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. Cancer- and Chemotherapy-Induced Anemia; 2012.
Donskov, F, Carus, A, Barrios, CH, et al. Neutropenia and thromobocytopenia during treatment as biomarker of sunitinib efficacy in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. In: ESMO meeting. Stockholm, 2011.
- Risk of high-grade bleeding in patients with cancer treated with bevacizumab: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2011; 67: 613
- A phase I and pharmacokinetic study of temsirolimus (CCI-779) administered intravenously daily for 5 days every 2 weeks to patients with advanced cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2006; 12: 5755
- Risk of bleeding with vascular endothelial growth factor receptor tyrosine-kinase inhibitors sunitinib and sorafenib: a systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trials.Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 967
- Axitinib treatment in patients with cytokine-refractory metastatic renal-cell cancer: a phase II study.Lancet Oncol. 2007; 8: 975
- Bevacizumab-induced nasal septum perforation.Oncologist. 2006; 11: 85
- Invasive fungal infection and nasal septum perforation with bevacizumab-based therapy in advanced colon cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 3376
- Nasal septum perforation in a bevacizumab-treated patient with metastatic breast cancer.Oncologist. 2006; 11: 1070
- Spontaneous nasal septal perforation with antiangiogenic bevacizumab therapy.Laryngoscope. 2008; 118: 1539
- Diffuse alveolar hemorrhage induced by everolimus.Chest. 2010; 137: 456
- Risk of cardiac ischemia and arterial thromboembolic events with the angiogenesis inhibitor bevacizumab in cancer patients: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Acta Oncol. 2010; 49: 287
- Venous thromboembolic events with chemotherapy plus bevacizumab: a pooled analysis of patients in randomized phase II and III studies.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 1757
- Risk of arterial thromboembolic events with sunitinib and sorafenib: a systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trials.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 2280
National Comprehensive Cancer Network Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. Venous Thromboembolic Disease; 2012.
- Recommended guidelines for the treatment of cancer treatment-induced diarrhea.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 2918
Gastrointestinal Complications. Health Professional version, National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health; 2012.
- Living with kidney cancer-patient and family reference handbook.Pfizer Canada Inc., Kirkland, Quebec2009
National Comprehensive Cancer Network Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. Antiemesis; 2012.
- Risk of gastrointestinal perforation in patients with cancer treated with bevacizumab: a meta-analysis.Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 559
- A Phase 1 clinical study of temsirolimus (CCI-779) in Japanese patients with advanced solid tumors.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2010; 40: 732
- Temsirolimus in VEGF-refractory metastatic renal cell carcinoma.Ann Oncol. 2011; 22: 145
- Bowel perforation after radiotherapy in a patient receiving sorafenib.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 2405
- Phase II study of axitinib in sorafenib-refractory metastatic renal cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 4462
- The efficacy and safety of sunitinib in korean patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma: high incidence of toxicity leads to frequent dose reduction.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2010; 40: 980
- Acute exacerbation of hemorrhagic rectocolitis during antiangiogenic therapy with sunitinib and sorafenib.Ann Oncol. 2008; 19: 1975
- Colonic pneumatosis and intestinal perforations with sunitinib treatment for renal cell carcinoma.Invest New Drugs. 2009; 27: 83
- Tumor fistulization associated with targeted therapy: computed tomographic findings and clinical consequences.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2011; 35: 86
Afinitor [package insert]. East Hanover (NJ): Novartis Pharmaceuticals.
Torisel [package insert]. New York (NY): Pfizer.
Votrient [package insert]. Philadelphia (PA): GlaxoSmithKline.
Avastin [package insert]. South San Francisco (CA): Genentech.
Nexavar [package insert]. Wayne (NJ): Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals.
Sutent [package insert]. New York (NY): Pfizer.
- Safety and efficacy of molecularly targeted agents in patients with metastatic kidney cancer with renal dysfunction.Anticancer Drugs. 2011; 22: 794
- Influence of mild and moderate hepatic impairment on axitinib pharmacokinetics.Invest New Drugs. 2011; 29: 1370
- Sunitinib-related fulminant hepatic failure: case report and review of the literature.Pharmacotherapy. 2008; 28: 1066
- Fatal liver failure in a patient on acetaminophen treated with sunitinib malate and levothyroxine.Ann Pharmacother. 2009; 43: 761
- Sorafenib-induced liver failure.Am J Gastroenterol. 2008; 103: 2162
- Seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure.Hypertension. 2003; 42: 1206
Arterial Hypertension (Management of): European Society of Cardiology Clinical Practice Guidelines, vol. 2007.
- Incidence and risk of hypertension with sorafenib in patients with cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Oncol. 2008; 9: 117
- Risk of hypertension and renal dysfunction with an angiogenesis inhibitor sunitinib: systematic review and meta-analysis.Acta Oncol. 2009; 48: 9
- Incidence and risk of significantly raised blood pressure in cancer patients treated with bevacizumab: an updated meta-analysis.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2010; 66: 813
- Hypertension as a biomarker of efficacy in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with sunitinib.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011; 103: 763
- Hypertension as predictor of sunitinib treatment outcome in metastatic renal cell carcinoma.Acta Oncol. 2011; 50: 569
- Hypertension as a predictive factor for survival outcomes in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with sunitinib after progression on cytokines.Kidney Blood Press Res. 2012; 35: 18
- Diastolic blood pressure as a biomarker of axitinib efficacy in solid tumors.Clin Cancer Res. 2011; 17: 3841
- The use of 24-h ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) during the first cycle of sunitinib improves the diagnostic accuracy and management of hypertension in patients with advanced renal cancer.Eur J Cancer. 2011; 47: 1660
- Home blood-pressure monitoring in patients receiving sunitinib.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 95
- Incidence and risk of congestive heart failure in patients with renal and nonrenal cell carcinoma treated with sunitinib.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 3450
- Clinical outcome and prognostic factors of sorafenib in Japanese patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma in general clinical practice.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2011; 41: 1265
- A phase II study of sunitinib in Japanese patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma: insights into the treatment, efficacy and safety.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2010; 40: 194
- Response rates and adverse effects of continuous once-daily sunitinib in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma: a single-center study in Turkey.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2011; 41: 1380
- Risk of hand–foot skin reaction with the multitargeted kinase inhibitor sunitinib in patients with renal cell and non-renal cell carcinoma: a meta-analysis.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2009; 7: 11
- Risk of hand–foot skin reaction with sorafenib: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Acta Oncol. 2008; 47: 176
- Evolving strategies for the management of hand–foot skin reaction associated with the multitargeted kinase inhibitors sorafenib and sunitinib.Oncologist. 2008; 13: 1001
Lacouture ME. Dermatologic adverse events: the superficial side of kidney cancer therapy. In: Kidney Cancer Symposium. Chicago, 2011.
- Management of tyrosine kinase inhibitor-induced hand–foot skin reaction: viewpoints from the medical oncologist, dermatologist, and oncology nurse.J Support Oncol. 2011; 9: 13
- Cutaneous side-effects of kinase inhibitors and blocking antibodies.Lancet Oncol. 2005; 6: 491
- The risk of skin rash and stomatitis with the mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitor temsirolimus: a systematic review of the literature and meta-analysis.Eur J Cancer. 2012; 48: 340
- Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma and inflammation of actinic keratoses associated with sorafenib.Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2009; 7: 20
- Does basal cell carcinoma belong to the spectrum of sorafenib-induced epithelial skin cancers?.Dermatology. 2010; 221: 193
- Surgical wound healing complications in metastatic colorectal cancer patients treated with bevacizumab.J Surg Oncol. 2005; 91: 173
- A review on bevacizumab and surgical wound healing: an important warning to all surgeons.Ann Plast Surg. 2009; 62: 707
- Survival and prognostic stratification of 670 patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 1999; 17: 2530
- Treatment of hemodialyzed patients with sunitinib in renal cell carcinoma.Chemotherapy. 2010; 56: 485
- Successful sunitinib treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma in a patient with end stage renal disease on hemodialysis.Anticancer Drugs. 2009; 20: 848
- Clinical results and pharmacokinetics of sorafenib in chronic hemodialysis patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma in a single center.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2011; 41: 647
- Use of tyrosine kinase inhibitors in patients with metastatic kidney cancer receiving haemodialysis: a retrospective Italian survey.BJU Int. 2012; 110: 692
- Bevacizumab increases risk for severe proteinuria in cancer patients.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 21: 1381
- Key predictive factors of axitinib (AG-013736)-induced proteinuria and efficacy: a phase II study in Japanese patients with cytokine-refractory metastatic renal cell carcinoma.Eur J Cancer. 2011; 47: 2592
- Novel sunitinib strategy in metastatic renal cell carcinoma on hemodialysis: intermittent dose of sunitinib after hemodialysis.Cancer Res Treat. 2010; 42: 180
- Hypothyroidism in patients with renal cell carcinoma: blessing or curse?.Cancer. 2011; 117: 534
- The clinical implications of sunitinib-induced hypothyroidism: a prospective evaluation.Br J Cancer. 2008; 99: 448
- Thyrotoxicosis during sunitinib treatment for renal cell carcinoma.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2008; 69: 669
- Sunitinib (sutent)-induced thyrotoxicosis due to destructive thyroiditis: a case report.Thyroid. 2007; 17: 1147
- Sunitinib-induced thyrotoxicosis.J Endocrinol Invest. 2009; 32: 941
- Thyroid function test abnormalities in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with sorafenib.Ann Oncol. 2008; 19: 265
- Opposite translational control of GLUT1 and GLUT4 glucose transporter mRNAs in response to insulin. Role of mammalian target of rapamycin, protein kinase b, and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase in GLUT1 mRNA translation.J Biol Chem. 1999; 274: 33085
- Insulin-stimulated phosphorylation of lipin mediated by the mammalian target of rapamycin.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2002; 99: 1047
- Management of treatment-related toxicity with targeted therapies for renal cell carcinoma: evidence-based practice and best practices.Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2011; 25: 893
- Toxicities associated with the administration of sorafenib, sunitinib, and temsirolimus and their management in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.Eur Urol. 2008; 53: 917
- Blood glucose levels in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with sunitinib.Br J Cancer. 2008; 99: 1380
- Implications of recent clinical trials for the National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III guidelines.Circulation. 2004; 110: 227
- Phase I/II trial of temsirolimus combined with interferon alfa for advanced renal cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 3958
- Noninfectious pneumonitis after everolimus therapy for advanced renal cell carcinoma.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010; 182: 396
- Characterisation of the lung toxicity of the cell cycle inhibitor temsirolimus.Eur J Cancer. 2006; 42: 1875
- Bevacizumab safety in patients with central nervous system metastases.Clin Cancer Res. 2010; 16: 269
- High frequency of intracerebral hemorrhage in metastatic renal carcinoma patients with brain metastases treated with tyrosine kinase inhibitors targeting the vascular endothelial growth factor receptor.Eur Urol. 2008; 53: 376
- Sunitinib in metastatic renal cell carcinoma patients with brain metastases.Cancer. 2011; 117: 501
- Treatment of everolimus-resistant metastatic renal cell carcinoma with VEGF-targeted therapies.Br J Cancer. 2011; 105: 1635
- Reversible posterior leucoencephalopathy syndrome associated with sunitinib.Intern Med J. 2009; 39: 341
- Reversible posterior leucoencephalopathy syndrome in an elderly male on sunitinib therapy.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2011; 71: 777
- Reversible posterior leukoencephalopathy syndrome induced by sunitinib.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 3559
- Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome during sunitinib therapy.Rev Neurol (Paris). 2008; 164: 605
- A reversible posterior leukoencephalopathy syndrome.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 494
- Guillain–Barre syndrome after treatment with sunitinib malate?.Oncology (Williston Park). 2008; 22: 66
- Bevacizumab and osteonecrosis of the jaw: incidence and association with bisphosphonate therapy in three large prospective trials in advanced breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010; 122: 181
- Combination of bisphosphonates and antiangiogenic factors induces osteonecrosis of the jaw more frequently than bisphosphonates alone.Oncology. 2009; 76: 209
- Sunitinib may raise the risk of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: presentation of three cases.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010; 110: 463
- Sunitinib related osteonecrosis of jaw: a case report.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2012;
- Osteonecrosis of the jaw related to sunitinib.Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 15: 63
- Depression and anxiety disorders in palliative cancer care.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2007; 33: 118
- Patient-reported outcomes in a phase iii study of everolimus versus placebo in patients with metastatic carcinoma of the kidney that has progressed on vascular endothelial growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor therapy.Oncologist. 2011; 16: 632
- Effects of sorafenib on symptoms and quality of life: results from a large randomized placebo-controlled study in renal cancer.Am J Clin Oncol. 2007; 30: 220
- Quality of life in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with sunitinib or interferon alfa: results from a phase III randomized trial.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 3763
- Health-related quality of life in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma receiving pazopanib or placebo in a randomised phase III trial.Eur J Cancer. 2012; 48: 311
- Quality of life in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma treated with temsirolimus or interferon-alpha.Br J Cancer. 2010; 102: 1456
Escudier, B, Porta, C, Bono, P, et al. Patient preference between pazopanib (Paz) and sunitinib (Sun): results of a randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over study in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma (mRCC)—PISCES study, NCT 01064310. In: American Society of Clinical Oncology meeting. Chicago, IL; 2012.
Drug interactions. Indiana University School of Medicine; 2009.